Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Director, Government Affairs
About the job
What if the work you did every day could impact the lives of people you know? Or all of humanity?
At Illumina, we are expanding access to genomic technology to realize health equity for billions of people around the world. Our efforts enable life-changing discoveries that are transforming human health through the early detection and diagnosis of diseases and new treatment options for patients.
Illumina currently seeks a Senior Director, Government Affairs to be based in Washington, DC. The role reports to our VP, Government Affairs.
- Oversees analysis of proposed federal legislation to determine potential impact on the organization.
- Works with internal stakeholders to establish company positions on federal regulations and communicates positions internally and externally.
- Responsible for identifying, monitoring and influencing government legislation, regulation and public policy with the intent to optimize the business environment and patient access to Illumina solutions.
- Educate public policymakers on issues and initiatives that support and advocate for our industry and business.
- Create and maintain a positive leadership image and business climate for Illumina with federal policymakers.
- Work with all business units on strategies and matters involving and needing government relations.
- Utilize Illumina executives and subject matter experts to help educate government policymakers.
- Help manage major company events and high profile meetings and visits with government officials.
- Effectively represent the company through direct advocacy and participation at the federal and state levels of government
- Serve as key liaison and advocate with key decisionmakers
- Identify and manage process for political contributions.
Policy Analysis – Provide insightful analysis of proposed federal administrative and legislative actions and their impact on Illumina. Consider alternative policy descriptions and their impact on other stakeholders. In close working partnership with business units and corporate functional experts, develop policy positions and appropriate messaging tailored appropriately to target audiences.
Advocacy – Communicate directly and persuasively with government officials and staff, as well as both allies and opponents, in the advancement of Illumina public policy priorities. Demonstrate thought leadership and subject matter expertise where business strategic objectives can be advanced through proactive public policy engagement. Develop issue advocacy materials and presentations, testimony for delivery to legislative committees and regulatory bodies, and internal messaging for key contact and employee grassroots and vendor engagement programs.
Tracking and Intelligence Gathering – Identify and monitor legislative and regulatory activities for their ripeness and potential impact, and report to internal partners in a timely and precise manner.
Industry Associations and Coalitions – Serve on industry task forces and working groups where policy interests are aligned and Illumina leadership can be exerted. Represent the company at trade associations and participate as directed in meetings and work of national associations.
Third-Party Ally Development – Build and lead advocacy coalition efforts intended to raise awareness on a disease state, barriers to patient access to therapy, or the importance of fostering a business environment friendly to technology innovation investment and employment. Particular focus on helping to cultivate business strategic partnerships with public and private payers, provider organizations, key clinical research institutions, as well as patient advocacy organizations. Leverage internal resources to support engagement plans.
Listed responsibilities are an essential, but not exhaustive list, of the usual duties associated with the position. Changes to individual responsibilities may occur due to business needs.
- Experience working with legislators and other professionals at the federal government level
- Experience communicating and presenting to senior-level stakeholders, both inside and external to the company
- Experience with compliance requirements
- Strong working knowledge of state and local legislative processes with strong regulatory knowledge
- Demonstrates business acumen with knowledge of current policies, practices and competitive landscape, as well as future trends and challenges in the marketplace
- Significant experience reading, analyzing and interpreting legislative and regulatory documents
- Ability to convey company views and positions in an open, honest manner that is interesting to others; able to tell a compelling story and use effective case studies; and to offer solutions and generate favorable action
- Ability to build strong relationships, collaborate with and lead teams, and work well with cross-functional colleagues
- Capacity to be a quick learner of new subject matter and ability to adapt nimbly to a rapidly changing healthcare ecosystem and a challenging political environment
- Able to assess and manage risk, accept accountability, and to offer viable alternative strategies, as necessary, to achieve goals
- Strong problem solving and negotiation skills
- Articulate and personable
- Ability to direct multi-stakeholder education and advocacy efforts
- Demonstrated initiative, resourcefulness and attention to detail in execution of strategies
- Capability to manage multiple assignments simultaneously and with strong organizational skills and attention to prioritization among conflicting demands
- Exemplary written and large audience presentation skills
- Demonstrated leadership skills with unquestioned personal standards of conduct, work ethic and integrity, and an ability to maintain calm under pressure
- 20+ years relevant experience.
All listed requirements are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional task and responsibilities
- Typically has depth of technical knowledge in function derived from experience in non-management and middle management roles.
- Requires high level understanding of markets and sales opportunities for the company’s products.
- Requires JD or Master’s Degree in Government, Business or Public Affairs or equivalent.
- Typically has 12+ years of applicable management experience as assessed by Illumina Executive Staff.
Concerns regarding COVID-19 continue as positive cases are experienced in the communities in which we operate. Please be aware that, as a condition of employment, Illumina may require proof of COVID vaccination in accordance with local statutory requirements (subject to limited exceptions) beginning November 1, 2021.
At Illumina, we strive to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace by cultivating an environment in which everyone contributes to our mission. Built on a strong foundation, Illumina has always been rooted in openness, collaboration, and seeking alternative views and perspectives to propel innovation in genomics. We are proud to confirm a zero-net gap in pay, regardless of gender, ethnicity, or race. We also have several Employee Resource Groups (ERG) that deliver career development experiences, increase cultural awareness, and demonstrate our collective commitment to diversity and inclusion in the communities we live and work. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information. If you require accommodation to complete the application or interview process, please contact email@example.com. To learn more, visit: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
Job posted: 2022-08-25