Senior Director, Government Affairs EMEA
Why Work for Us
Are you ready to use your experience and expertise to make an impact on patients’ lives? Astellas Gene Therapies is a biotechnology company developing new genetic medicines for rare, life-threatening diseases. We are working urgently to progress our medicines and need additional team members to help us do so. Because our mission is so important, our values are to: Be BOLD: Find a Way, Care Deeply, and Get Stuff Done. If you’d like to be a part of this important mission, please apply to join our team.
About Astellas Gene Therapies
Astellas Gene Therapies is developing genetic medicines for patients with rare, life-threatening diseases. Based on our innovative approach to developing genetic medicines, as well as our industry-leading internal manufacturing capability and expertise, we have become the Astellas Center of Excellence for the newly created Genetic Regulation Focus Area. We are currently exploring three gene therapy modalities: gene replacement, exon skipping gene therapy, and vectorized RNA knockdown, with plans to expand our focus and geographic reach under Astellas. We are based in San Francisco, with manufacturing and laboratory facilities in South San Francisco and Sanford, North Carolina. For more information, please visit our website: www.audentestx.com.
- Be BOLD (Find a Way)
- Care Deeply – for our patients, each other and our work
- #GSD (Get Stuff Done)
What is the catalyst for you in your professional career? Are you ready to be a part of a bold, innovative company, to make a change and to make a difference? Listed below is a current opening for a smart, driven, experienced, and just plain nice individual who wants to join us and be a part of our journey.
- Provide leadership, strategic and tactical support to the EMEA-wide AGT operations on Gene therapies public policy priorities, designing and delivering an innovative best-in-industry service to all areas of the business, to drive the EMEA external Gene Therapies policy strategies
- Drive the implementation of the new AGT Government Affairs operating model, sharing best practice and ensuring alignment on AGT priorities across the EMEA region
- Build an integrated, impactful GA capability across EMEA, mitigating risks associated with political decision-making, including market access and disease area policies
- Communicate the core needs of external stakeholders across EMEA, identifying risks and opportunities from external policy developments at EU/Affiliate level, implementing relevant solutions and informing decision-making, positioning Astellas as a preferred partner in the delivery of policy solutions
- Develop and deliver innovative engagement strategies to shape the external environment, in collaboration with our stakeholders, to optimise the environment in which we operate and influence Astellas shareholder perceptions
- Identify business risks and develop defensive and responsive strategies to address legislative and public policy initiatives that could impact the Company’s ability to develop or market its products in one or more markets
- Co-create policy proposals aligning AGT’s commercial and legislative goals, working closely with business associations (EFPIA), governments and policy agencies
- Conduct strategic lobbying Gene therapies activities in EMEA region, overseeing and directing external preferred suppliers as necessary
- Own the development, advocacy, communications and execution of key business legislative initiatives and issue responses related to Bio-Pharmaceutical issues
- Ensure AGT (and the EMEA region) is able to elevate and maintain long-term external relations with business and policy associations to optimise patient access to its products
- Drive a culture of Ethics and Compliance, ensuring Integrity in Action is actively applied in all initiatives and proactively address non-compliance
- Partner with key internal and external stakeholders to devise and implement proactive involvement with policy-makers and government influencers, and obtain political intelligence through different sources
- Influence the tone and tenor of political debates directly and indirectly through evidence, policy and third parties
- Co-create, implement and co-ordinate multi-faceted strategic policy projects
- In-depth understanding of industry and regulatory requirements for the Gene therapies Biotech & Pharma sector
- Proficient in accessing and engaging with policymakers and thought leaders in public policy (HTA bodies, Trade associations)
- Adept at anticipating political and legislative risks and threats before they become acute.
- Expert in the development and execution of lobbying activities
- Profound knowledge of political decision-making and legislative processes
- Politically astute with sound judgement and able to challenge respectively and constructively.
- Impactful, credible with senior stakeholders internally and externally, able to effectively influence and deliver results through influence and persuasion.
- Collaborative and co-creational role-model, working horizontally, vertically and transversally.
- Specialist in leveraging extensive, external high-level political networks to achieve competitive advantage.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills
- Fluent in oral/written verbal business English (ideally with a second European language)
- Competent in leading people through change and creating a culture of ownership and accountability.
- Comprehensively understands the impact of commercial activities in the market as well as how Regulatory and Governmental Affairs can impact and shape the marketplace.
- Can speak knowledgeably about public health strategies & goals and represent company interests within them.
- Adept at making a distinction between when to take a company specific position vs. when to take a collaborative position.
- Extensive awareness of the current key initiatives and an in-depth knowledge of the workings of associations and networks.
- Models our Core Values: Be Bold: Find a Way, Care Deeply, Get Stuff Done – is experienced as someone who exemplifies the culture we want to create; operates with transparency; is trusted
- Experience of working in Japan/Asia
- Experience with rare diseases, neuromuscular diseases and/or gene therapy products
- Experience in a small company and high growth, fast-paced environment
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-10-09