Senior Director, Government Affairs and Public Policy – U.S.
BlackBerry – the iconic brand you know and trust – is now a market leading security software and services company. As the Internet of Things has become the next great wave in business transformation, BlackBerry already secures over 500M endpoints, including 150M cars on the road. We are leading the way with a single platform for securing, managing and optimizing how intelligent endpoints are deployed in the enterprise, enabling our customers to stay ahead of the technology curve. BlackBerry customers include all 7 of the G7 governments, 9 of the top 10 global financial services brands, 9 of the 10 largest automotive OEMs, 8 of the 10 largest aerospace and defense companies, 8 of the 10 largest healthcare companies, and all 5 of the largest media companies. Our mission is “Intelligent Security. Everywhere.”
The Senior Director of Government Affairs and Public Policy will be responsible for BlackBerry’s U.S. government relations, regulatory affairs and public policy advocacy at the federal and state levels. Role requires significant expertise with Congress and regulatory agencies, political affairs, public policy, and industry affairs. Cyber security policy expertise required; experience in/with technology sector preferred. The position is located in Washington, D.C. and will report to BlackBerry’s Chief Government Affairs and Public Policy Officer.
- Responsible for the company’s government advocacy strategy and execution in the U.S.
- Senior trusted advisor to BlackBerry’s Chief Government Affairs and Public Policy Officer.
- Develops and advocates the company’s U.S. government relations, regulatory affairs and public policy positions at the federal and state levels.
- Identifies and creates U.S. legislative and regulatory opportunities to deliver on corporate priorities.
- Advances Congressional relationships and public policy influencing on a bipartisan and bicameral basis: e.g., House Appropriations; Armed Services; Energy and Commerce; Homeland Security; Transportation and Infrastructure; Intelligence; and/or Senate Appropriations; Armed Services; Commerce; Homeland Security; Intelligence.
- Advances relationships and public policy influencing at federal agencies: e.g., DHS, DoD, FTC, OMB, GSA, DoC-NIST.
- Partners with business units to ensure U.S. public policy agenda aligns to corporate priorities.
- Leads BlackBerry’s engagements in U.S. trade associations.
- Actively directs and manages U.S. political consultants.
- 15 years of U.S. federal government relations, regulatory affairs and public policy experience.
- Law degree preferred. Master’s Degree in Political Science, Government, History a plus.
- Expertise in Cyber security policy required, with proven leadership on federal policy.
- Expertise in Appropriations and Federal Procurement policy a very strong plus.
- Expertise in Privacy, AI, IoT, Automotive Safety and Security, Defense policy a strong plus.
- Expertise in these technology policy areas at the state level a plus.
- Significant government relations expertise with Congress: House Appropriations; Armed Services; Energy and Commerce; Homeland Security; Transportation and Infrastructure; Intelligence; and/or Senate Appropriations; Armed Services; Commerce; Homeland Security; Intelligence.
- Significant government relations expertise with federal agencies: DHS, DoD, FTC, OMB, GSA, and/or DoC-NIST.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain relationships with policymakers in a bipartisan and bicameral manner, as well as industry stakeholders and other partners.
- Excellent business acumen, influencing and negotiation skills.
- Superb communication skills (verbal/written/presentation). Proven expertise in drafting legislation and regulatory comments.
- Proactive, strategic thinker, strong work ethic, sound judgement, diplomacy and ethics.
- Solution-oriented, flexible and collaborative. Self-prioritizes and multi-tasks seamlessly.
- Results-driven senior professional who thrives in a fast-paced environment.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-06-09