Senior Director of Government Affairs (Tax) (Senate-D)
The Information Technology Industry Council (ITI) is the premier advocacy and policy organization for the world’s
leading innovation companies. ITI is seeking a Senior Director of Government Affairs (Tax) (Senate-D) to serve as one of
the organization’s senior representatives and to advocate before the U.S. Congress and relevant U.S. executive branch
agencies. This position is located in Washington, DC.
Reporting to the Executive Vice President of Government Affairs, the Senior Director of Government Affairs will have
the chief responsibility for engagement on tax issues and with the Democratic Caucus of the U.S. Senate. The Senior
Director will work cross-functionally across the Government Affairs, Policy, Public Sector, and Public Affairs teams, as
well as with ITI member companies, in strategizing, planning, and executing a comprehensive government relations
▪ Building and expanding relationships with the U.S Congress and relevant executive branch offices.
▪ Advancing ITI’s policy priorities, including proactively identifying policy concerns and opportunities for ITI and
recommending how to engage through appropriate legislative, regulatory, or other means.
▪ Serving as a spokesperson for ITI members before the media and other organizations, constituencies, and
coalitions in public settings.
▪ Supporting ITI and its member companies in the sector’s political engagement.
▪ Lead the participation, value, and effective functioning of key ITI policy issue areas with a specific focus on
corporate tax policy issues, including domestic and global tax policy issues.
▪ Proactively identify significant policy issues and opportunities that could affect the membership and advance
positions and strategies to deal with them effectively, including leveraging cross-organizational teams.
▪ Plan both policy-focused events and events to enhance ITI’s relationships with key staff on the Hill and in the
▪ Develop and enhance working relationships with member companies (including their Washington government
affairs representatives and their subject matter experts).
▪ Work to broaden and deepen relationships with members of Congress focused on tax policy issues, particularly
with Senate Democrats, to win support for industry priorities, establish political connections, and execute on the
industry’s specific policy issues.
▪ Proactively build relationships with other organizations, constituencies, and coalitions whose interests align with
▪ Organize political events for Democrats in Congress on behalf of ITI.
▪ Lead and advocate on other ITI priority policy issues as assigned.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
▪ Ability to maintain existing bipartisan congressional relationships and engage with the Hill, the Administration,
and other stakeholders on legislative and regulatory issues
▪ Ability to understand and analyze complex domestic tax policy
▪ Ability to apply an extensive policy background to analyze and distill complex policy proposals quickly
▪ Ability to engage meaningfully with both member companies’ Washington government affairs representatives
and their subject matter experts in other departments
▪ Ability to effectively advocate for ITI member companies before Congress and the Administration on tax issues
▪ Ability to effectively articulate a wide range of ITI policy positions and priority issues before policymakers and ITI
▪ Strong written communication skills with the ability to articulate ITI member company views in official
correspondence, including letters, blog posts, and agency comments
▪ Exceptional commitment to accuracy, detail, and follow-up
▪ A team player who works well with others and is vested in the overall success of the organization
▪ Ability to drive policy consensus among a diverse array of business models, interests, and priorities to the
satisfaction of ITI members
▪ Ability to relate effectively with the executives of member companies
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
▪ Bachelor’s degree in political science, policy, business administration, or a related field; Master’s degree or JD
▪ Minimum of seven years of relevant advocacy, policy, or government experience
▪ Relevant Senate experience with a detailed understanding of U.S. Senate process, jurisdictions, schedule,
and bipartisan congressional relationships
▪ Tax policy background with an understanding of global tax issues and their nexus to the United States and
relevant U.S. government policy implications
HOW TO APPLY
If you believe you meet the requirements, please submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirement to the
following job link:
Additional inquiries and questions can be emailed to Beth Cessna at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact 202-232-1765.
ABOUT THE INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY INDUSTRY COUNCIL (ITI)
Originally founded in 1916 and globally headquartered in Washington, DC, the Information Technology Industry Council
(ITI) is the premier advocacy and policy organization for the world’s leading innovation companies. ITI advocates for
public policies that advance innovation, open markets, and enable the transformational economic, societal, and
commercial opportunities that our companies are creating. ITI members represent the entire spectrum of technology
from internet companies, to hardware and networking equipment manufacturers, to software developers. ITI’s diverse
membership and expert staff provide a broad perspective and intelligent insight in confronting the implications and
opportunities of policy activities around the world.
ITI is committed to attracting creative, talented, and energetic team members who represent the diverse communities
that they advocate for. In addition to an open, friendly, and flexible work atmosphere, ITI offers employees a
comprehensive health and benefits insurance package.
ABOUT CESSNA & ASSOCIATES, LLC
Cessna & Associates, LLC is a boutique HR consultancy partnering with mission driven, non-profit
organizations. Our goal is to identify the best potential candidates that the market has to offer.
The Power of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Fuels Success
Cessna & Associates embraces and celebrates the strength that diversity brings to our organization. Just as we
are deliberate in our own pursuit of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion initiatives, our efforts support our clients’ DEI
success. We drive every search with an unyielding focus to create an even playing field for all candidates and assess
their ability to be “culture adds,” not merely “fits” for our clients. Our team builds and nurtures this rich tapestry of
diversity for ourselves and for our clients.
Job posted: 2021-03-08