Senior Director, Government and Public Affairs
Are you an experienced government affairs professional with expertise in navigating both federal and state systems? Do you have a strong understanding of the gig economy and the opportunities that it offers to hundreds of thousands of Americans each year? Do you live in Birmingham or Montgomery, AL or want to be a part of those communities as a strong advocate for Shipt? Can you see yourself as a voice for economic development in Alabama, focusing on the role Shipt can plan in fostering a healthy and thriving community including education, healthcare, safety, diversity and inclusion? Then let’s talk.
At Shipt, we are transforming the shopping experience and giving time back to consumers. But, we believe we are more than a company that brings groceries and household essentials from the door to your store. More importantly, we are a purpose-driven company rooted in the belief that every person counts and that we are in a unique position to help spark connections between people across the country.
Shipt is growing and we are searching for an experienced government affairs and public policy professional to join us as the Director of Government Affairs focused on federal and state advocacy and policy initiatives. This leadership role reports to Shipt’s Chief Communications Officer.
- Build a government affairs program for Shipt, establishing, developing and maintaining a strategic, regional network of lasting relationships with key state and local elected officials, staff, and agencies to advocate on Shipt’s behalf on policies that could influence the growth and competitiveness of the company
- Advocate on behalf of the company at state capitols, city council meetings, planning commission hearings and other public venues, to:
- Communicate (both verbally and written) the impact to Shipt of proposed and pending legislation/regulations to both policymakers on all sides of the aisle
- Provide public officials with timely information (both responsive and proactive) regarding Shipt’s public policy positions, business operations, and innovation initiatives
- Establish strong relationship with key internal partners to develop a deep knowledge of the business, enabling you to advocate on Shipt’s behalf
- Partner with senior leadership and key partners in legal, public affairs, operations and human resources to craft and execute a state and federal government affairs program, ensuring key external stakeholders appreciate and understand the Shipt model
- Continue to foster and build on Shipt’s engagement in Alabama politics
- Advise on potential reputational implications and mitigate risk
- Overseeing external partner relationships including industry groups and oversight of contract lobbyists
- Partner closely with the government affairs team at Target Corp, Shipt’s parent company
- Develop subject matter expertise on a wide range of policy issues, such as contractor status, employment, transportation, food and product safety, and provide insightful analysis on those issues with internal business partners
- Represent Shipt when communicating directly with high-ranking elected officials including Governors and their staffs, Commissioners, state senators, state representatives, Mayors, city councilmembers, and regulators
- Provide company leaders with opportunities to develop relationships with elected officials by coordinating visits, tours, and attendance at events
- BA/BS degree or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of experience in policy, government affairs, lobbying or advocacy work
- Ability to work in a fast-faced environment
- Must be based in Birmingham or Montgomery, Alabama; Relocation is an option
- Proven track record building policy programs that achieve results
- Post-COVID ability to travel as needed
- Experience working with a gig company and/or independent contractor base preferred
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-21