Senior Director of Government Relations
Senior Director of Government Relations
The Senior Director of Government Relations will focus on various strategic initiatives in their designated regions reporting directly to the VP, Government Relations. The role will require a strong relationship with various stakeholders and trade groups both within and outside of the industry. The position will be responsible for lobbying state legislators and governors’ offices and communicating company positions to other officials and regulators. Ideally, this person will have the discipline and experience required to oversee a regional team managing comprehensive legislative and advocacy campaigns in a multi state region.
East Coast – New York, NY
The impact you’ll make:
- Developing and executing government relations strategies and action plans based on business and regional objectives
- Meeting with as well as cultivating and maintaining relationships with the Governor’s office, State legislators, departments and agencies, key local governments and industry and non-industry trade groups.
- Tracking legislative and regulatory activity and engaging policy makers on Weedmaps priorities on both tracks, and coordinating government engagement strategies with Weedmaps Vice President of Government Relations, Weedmaps contract advocacy teams and other industry participants and industry and non-industry trade groups, as well as Weedmaps’ Public Affairs team.
- Working with Weedmaps Government Relations team to develop written products to support the company’s advocacy initiatives.
- Support the Vice President of Government Relations with various initiatives including:
- Tracking of state and local legislation, to include intelligence on emerging legislation
- Coordinating with industry and non-coalition partners
- Drafting factsheets, policy papers and legislation
- Steering all campaign initiatives in your region and coordinating campaigns with Vice President of Government Relations
- Organizing data to support Weedmaps state and local initiatives
- Manage, mentor and provide professional development for direct reports to ensure high engagement; facilitated learning; clear expectations; and structured, prioritized work
- Represent Weedmaps in Western state and local government meetings
- Make internal and external written and oral presentations on behalf of the company
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with legislators, regulators, other policymakers and their staff; travel as needed for meetings with officials
- Maintain coalitions and target grassroots capabilities
- Consult with Weedmaps’ senior leadership to inform and support business planning processes and proactively raise and address issues of concern
- Develop and carry out strategies to influence trade associations and other advocacy organizations
- Set and meet measurable objectives and departmental KPI’s/OKR’s
- Support Cultivation and Dispensary managers’ relationships with state and local elected officials.
- Complete all projects and/or tasks as assigned
What you’ve accomplished:
- BA/BS in a related field required
- Minimum of 10 years of related experience
- At least 5 years of legislative, regulatory and political advocacy experience
- At least 3-5 years previous management experience
- Exceptional relationships and fundamental understanding of politics and state and local legislative process, especially in their designated region
- Exceptional writing, data analysis and interpersonal skills are required.
- Strong research and writing skills, and proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Ability to simultaneously manage and prioritize many tasks and communicate effectively
- A positive, team-oriented attitude and ability to work in a deadline-driven environment
- A self-starting, metrics-driven mentality with the ability to work autonomously
- Ability to travel domestically up to 25%
- Strong and effective lobbying experience
- Master’s in Public Policy/Masters in Public Administration or a related field
- 100% paid employee monthly Medical, Dental and Vision premiums AND 80% paid dependent monthly premiums
- HMO (California residents only) and PPO option offered through United Healthcare
- Company-paid $50,000 in Basic Life/AD&D (Accidental Death and Dismemberment) coverage
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: 100% match on the first 1%. 50% match from 2-6% of employee contributions
- 3 weeks PTO (accrued) and 5 sick days (immediate)
- Supplemental, voluntary benefits
- Kindbody (family planning/fertility) including up to $10,000 towards cash-pay services
- Goodly (Student Loan Repayment/529 Education Savings) including a company contribution of up to $1,000/year
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Medical, Dependent, Transit and Parking)
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Critical Illness
- Accident Insurance
- Short- and long-term disability
- Pet Insurance
- Paid parental leave
- During current work-from-home:
- Reimbursements for home office setup and monthly WiFi
- 11 company-paid holidays
- Catered lunch and snacks provided while working in the office
- Snack boxes sent straight to your door during work-from-home
- Casual work environment, read no fancy clothes required, but you are free to dress to the nines!
- Monthly virtual happy hours
- Quarterly all-hands meetings
Weedmaps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking for the smartest and most passionate people who want to join our team and develop the services, systems, and marketplaces that will serve the marijuana industry in the decades to come. Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Applicants may be entitled to reasonable accommodations under the terms of the ADA and state/local laws. Please inform us if you need assistance participating in the interview process.
Founded in 2008, WM Technology is a leading technology and software infrastructure provider to the cannabis industry, comprising a B2C platform, Weedmaps, and B2B software, WM Business. The cloud-based SaaS solutions from WM Business provide an end-to-end operating system for cannabis retailers. WM Business’ tools support compliance with the complex, disparate, and constantly evolving regulations applicable to the cannabis industry. Through its website and mobile apps, WM Technology provides consumers with the latest information about cannabis retailers, brands, and products, facilitating product discovery and driving engagement with our retail and brand customers.
WM Technology holds a strong belief in the power of cannabis and the importance of enabling safe, legal access to consumers worldwide. Since inception, WM Technology has worked tirelessly, not only to become the most comprehensive platform for consumers, but to build the software solutions that power businesses compliantly in the space, to advocate for legalization, social equity, and licensing in many jurisdictions, and to facilitate further learning through partnering with subject matter experts on providing detailed, accurate information about the plant.
Headquartered in Irvine, California, WM Technology supports remote work for all eligible employees. Visit us at www.weedmaps.com.
Job posted: 2021-10-03