Senior Director, Head of U.S. Federal, Global Government Relations and Public Policy
The Senior Director will work closely and partner with multiple business stakeholders to identify policy opportunities, align sales strategy, build VMware awareness, and facilitate high-level meetings between VMware executives and key stakeholders including Administration policymakers, Members of Congress, IT leaders, regulatory agencies, and industry associations to promote and advocate the company’s objectives. The Senior Director will work with the existing U.S. federal team members to hire, train, and manage outside consultants to best have impact for VMware within the Beltway. Finally, the Senior Director will work with our VMware PAC Manager and Board of Directors to grow the PAC and effectively deploy PAC resources.
Strong understanding of corporate structure and priorities, government policy and strategy, government procurement, and budgeting is necessary. Relationships with key policy and decision makers are critical as the U.S. Federal Government is an important VMware customer and sets guidelines for the private sector. The ability to engage at a high level on these issues is required.
The Senior Director will report to the VP of Global Government Relations and Policy with title and salary being commensurate with experience.
- U.S. Federal Government Relations: Working with the Vice President of Global Government Relations, the Head of U.S. Federal will work to set a federal strategy to educate policy makers about VMware and work with consultants to best position VMware in the crowded tech marketplace. The Senior Director will manage the other U.S. Federal team members and will create a strategy to build and maintain relationships with government leaders and influencers in critical policy areas and will support maximizing our PAC impact. The Senior Director will work with outside consultants and trade associations to maximize relationship impact in prioritized areas of U.S. Federal policy relevant to VMware.
- U.S. Federal Policy and Government Relations Strategy Development: The Senior Director, in partnership with VMware business leaders, will be responsible to develop annual federal government relations and public policy strategy and execute VMware Government Relations policy strategy. This will include working within our global tracking system to manage the legislative review process by conducting preliminary legislative analysis and engaging internal subject matter experts who assess the impact to VMware.
- Policy Advocacy: The Senior Director will deploy team members and assets to best build long-term, trusted relationships with the individuals who shape U.S. Federal policy. As VMware is not a consumer-facing brand, this will include improving the awareness of our company and capabilities.
- Collaboration: This position must collaborate with internal VMware government relations, sales teams, engineering, and research and development teams, and work with consultants and trade associations, VMware partners, and other memberships and influencers U.S. Federal policy. This role will participate with the Legal and Sales teams to break down business silos and will confer with other heads of regions to ensure U.S. federal government relations strategies are globally consistent.
- Management: The Senior Director will be responsible for directly managing a small team to work through U.S. policy issues and to create relevant policy strategy consistent with global goals. This role will also manage relationships with consultants and trades associations to maximize VMware benefit. The Senior Director will understand the importance of demonstrating value and will be responsible for reporting on metrics, strategy progress, and achievements to relevant internal stakeholders.
- Innovation in Everything: VMware employees must demonstrate willingness to try new and unconventional strategies to best impact policy while enabling VMware’s core business priorities.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Live and exemplify VMware’s values
- Lead VMware’s U.S. Federal government relations team, with a developed and thoughtful strategy and a special focus on enabling VMware core business priorities, including sales/procurement activities
- Develop and deliver policy language beneficial to the business and VMware goals and values
- Develop strategies for VMware to advance its thought leadership in public policy and among government and elected officials for VMware and its executives
- Enhance relationships to deliver high-impact meetings with policy leaders
- Establish and maintain a clear understanding of business objectives and priorities through active involvement with key management to assure appropriate linkage of business strategies and governmental issues
- Consolidate government issues and matters into a comprehensive government outreach strategy and lead the execution of that strategy
- Track, analyze and report out on policies impacting VMware’s existing and emerging businesses
- Develop, grow, and maintain relationships with contacts at all levels of government regulatory agencies, government departments, and government leaders to enhance favorable governmental relationships and positive reputation for VMware
- Set and accomplish aggressive government relations goals and develop strategies to execute on those goals
- Develop and strengthen partnerships with relevant VMware business stakeholders by remitting information and reporting
- Manage direct reports and enable their performance and growth
- Manage third-party consultants and trade associations effectively and strategically
- Help enable VMware’s compliance with all relevant regulations and requirements
- Identify key decision-makers and influencers with government and promote corporate positions with those audiences both in person and in writing
- Produce targeted supporting materials such as correspondence, briefing notes, submissions and presentations in support of issues, proposed legislation, projects or to enhance VMware’s reputation
- Coordinate meetings with government and elected officials
- Aid in negotiation and coordination with key business partners
- Make presentations to government officials, and coordinate host site tours for government officials
- Monitor emerging public policy, legislative, regulatory, and political issues that could impact the organization, and work with appropriate internal and external stakeholders to proactively develop or recommend actions
- Draft and coordinate the approval of correspondence, presentations, and formal policy submissions to government officials (elected and non-elected)
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of a corporate government relations database containing all current and relevant issues and contacts
- Successfully advocate for policy that enables our business, our employees, and our customers
- Conduct highest levels of professionalism, integrity, and ethical standards
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
- Minimum 15 years of relevant experience in corporate government relations and government service
- Extensive, first-hand experience in a combination of roles including working inside the U.S. Federal Government and in corporate government relations
- Experience with successful government engagement on both policy and procurement
- Experience presenting complex issues and opportunities to high-level officials and third-party partners
- Sound judgement, diplomacy, and the ability to liaise confidently, effectively and positively with internal and government stakeholders
- Sense of urgency, agility, transparency, respect, and collaboration in a team setting
- Excellent communication skills – both written and oral
- Ability to think and act both strategically and creatively
- Ability to take complicated technical concepts and relate them to effective policy work
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and work under tight deadlines on multiple initiatives
- Passionate about government service, the role of government in society, and the role of corporate impact on policy
- Self-starter and team player who can set aggressive and achievable goals
- Ability to motivate the best of a small team of dedicated professionals
- Embody VMware’s EPIC2 company values
- Relevant university degree required
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-07