Senior Director II, Public And Government Affairs – Corporate Affairs
What you’ll do…
The Senior Director II, Federal Government Affairs will oversee a small team of government affairs professionals. This position will be based in Washington, D.C.
You’ll make an impact by:
- Developing strategic priorities for Federal Government Affairs (FGA) by aligning Walmart’s overall corporate goals and business objectives with government policy; collaborating with other departments to develop and attain strategic goals; providing guidance on multiple subject areas, legislation, or political issues and strategies and their impact on Walmart goals and objectives; determining company positions and priorities on regulatory, legislative, and inter-agency proposals; soliciting operational input on legislative and regulatory initiatives; representing Walmart on federal legislative and regulatory issues related to various areas; and determining strategies for multiple issue portfolios based on emerging and existing legislative and regulatory developments.
- Developing strategies for charitable and political giving initiatives by determining goals and programs aligned with corporate strategy: Providing counsel on the strategic use of funds
- Directing strategies to ensure legislation and regulations positively impact Walmart’s operations, associates, and customers by leading coalitions and relevant interest groups to achieve desired legislative or regulatory outcomes; developing and providing strategic guidance for media and grassroots campaigns; providing input on amendments and alternatives to legislative proposals
- Developing and maintaining relationships with senior and executive management in various operational areas by determining and communicating strategies related to executive visits; briefing and advising senior and executive management on key legislative and regulatory activities; preparing Walmart senior and executive management for public testimony on complex issues; and facilitating the development of relationships between executives and key decision makers; and preparing speeches and presentations to government and non-governmental organizations, conferences, and task forces.
- Providing overall direction by analyzing business objectives and customer needs; developing, communicating, building support for, and implementing business strategies, plans, and practices; analyzing costs and forecasts and incorporating them into business plans; determining and supporting resource requirements; evaluating operational processes; measuring outcomes to ensure desired results; identifying and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; promoting a customer environment; and demonstrating adaptability and sponsoring continuous learning.
- Developing and implementing strategies to attract and maintain a highly skilled and engaged workforce by diagnosing capability gaps; recruiting, selecting, and developing talent; supporting mentorship, workforce development, and succession planning; and leveraging the capabilities of new and existing talent.
- Cultivating an environment where associates respect and adhere to company standards of integrity and ethics by integrating these values into all programs and practices; developing consequences for violations or non-compliance; and supporting the Open Door Policy.
- Developing and leveraging internal and external partnerships and networks to maximize the achievement of business goals by sponsoring and leading key community outreach and involvement initiatives; engaging key stakeholders in the development, execution, and evaluation of appropriate business plans and initiatives; and supporting associate efforts in these areas.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
You’ll sweep us off our feet if:
- You have at least 7 years experience working on Capitol Hill
- You have a proven track record of goal setting and achievement of those goals
- You’re have creative vision and a confident voice to advocate and execute the vision
- You’re comfortable working directly with leaders from different parts of the business.
- You’re organized, disciplined, and can manage multiple projects simultaneously
- You’re a strong manager who knows how to lead and develop people
- You’re a good writer, and are able to distill legislative and policy issues into easily understood briefing materials.
Benefits & Perks:
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Who We Are
Join Walmart and your work could help over 275 million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. But you’ll quickly find we’re a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world’s most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you’ll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you’ll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life. careers.walmart.com
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Political Science, or related field and 6 years’ experience managing projects or campaigns in politics, public affairs, or relevant area OR 8 years’ experience managing projects or campaigns in politics, public affairs, or relevant area. 3 years’ supervisory experience.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Government Relations, Media Relations
Fifty years ago, Sam Walton started a single mom-and-pop shop and transformed it into the world’s biggest retailer. Since those founding days, one thing has remained consistent: our commitment to helping our customers save money so they can live better. Today, we’re reinventing the shopping experience and our associates are at the heart of it. You’ll play a crucial role in shaping the future of retail, improving millions of lives around the world. This is that place where your passions meet purpose. Join our family and create a career you’re proud of.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-09-20