Senior Director, Industry Communications
Responsible for the production of U.S. Travel’s industry-focused messaging, including written and video communication products, that inform members and other stakeholders of U.S. Travel’s advocacy efforts to advance travel policy, provide membership updates and calls to action, convey research findings and inspire engagement in industry activations. The position also provides support to the executive team by managing the speech preparation process. As direct supervisor to the manager of industry communications, manager of digital communications and manager of video production, this position oversees the communications support, through written and video, of U.S. Travel products, messaging, and events, as well as executive communications supporting U.S. Travel’s CEO and senior leadership.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Oversee the management of speaking engagements for association executives including the President and CEO, which are largely executed by the manager, industry communications, and develop other written communications.
- Oversee U.S. Travel’s communications strategy as related to reaching its membership, the broader travel industry and other stakeholders, through messaging, audience segmentation and appropriate channel identification.
- Ensure messaging consistency across U.S. Travel, serving as the primary communications point of contact for all written collateral across the association.
- Craft messaging for all channels, including emails, video and presentations, with a focus on supporting communication from the Public Affairs department.
- Brainstorm, craft, restructure and proof U.S. Travel research and advocacy reports and fact sheets to ensure appropriate narrative is conveyed to support the association’s mission and strategic priorities.
- Craft talking points/scripting reflective of U.S. Travel position and research, and coordinate for related visuals and presentation display for U.S. Travel’s senior executives.
- Oversee the development of industry-facing resources including toolkits, fact sheets and video providing detail on U.S. Travel advocacy priorities and initiatives.
- Draft and/or proofread content for newsletters, as requested.
- Oversee the development and execution of industry activations, including National Plan for Vacation Day and National Travel and Tourism Week and U.S. Travel’s involvement in Travel Rally Day.
- Support the execution of industry campaigns as needed by brainstorming content and engagement ideas, as well as overseeing the development of toolkits, messaging and other materials for industry participation.
- Draft association’s annual report, supporting the process to see it through to completion.
- Manage editorial process of eight (8) issues of IPW Daily, the daily publication for IPW, drafting the editorial calendar, writing articles and copy-editing all articles.
- Liaise with other departments across U.S. Travel to ensure events and meetings are adequately supported by industry communications.
- Develop U.S. Travel board books and other collateral as required for U.S. Travel Board meetings, held three times annually.
- Develop talking points, remarks and runs of show for association events and webinars, as requested.
- Oversee the development and provide feedback on association video products and videos used for speaking engagements, in coordination with the manager, video production.
- Develop concept, draft scripts and interview questions, attend shoot for U.S. Travel videos.
- Oversee the development and implementation of U.S. Travel’s social media strategy as outlined in association’s social media plan as related to its primary, non-events related social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and CEO’s LinkedIn (aside from articles), in coordination with manager, digital communications.
- Collaborate with manager, digital communication on webpage development, with a particular focus on toolkit pages inclusive of industry resources.
- Expert project management and attention to detail.
- Mastery of AP Style.
- Agility to work within tight deadlines, adjust quickly to changes in priorities and balance short-term deliverables with long-term strategic initiatives.
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to craft messages that reflect various author tones and styles, and that resonate with a range of audiences.
- Mastery of presentation writing and event execution.
- Ability to learn new topics and research quickly and transform complex information into easily understandable terms.
- Delivers what is promised with accuracy and efficiency in a fast-paced, high-volume environment.
- Ability to embrace a high-performance/high-productivity environment.
- Holds all projects to high quality standard.
- Highly communicative; must possess a positive and proactive attitude with ability to take constructive feedback and input from multiple stakeholders.
- Self-initiated with a strong work ethic.
- Shows intellectual curiosity in every task they are asked to perform.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree plus ten+ years’ experience in a field of communications.
- Previous experience in communications at an association preferred.
- Knowledge and experience within the travel industry a plus.
- Mastery of AP Stylebook; Proficient in HTML (experience with Dreamweaver a plus); Mastery of Microsoft Office products, especially Word and PowerPoint; Proficient with instant messaging platforms; familiarity with Dropbox or shared file organization system.
- Adobe Creative Suite experience a plus.
To apply submit your cover letter, resume and reference list to email@example.com with “Senior Director, Industry Communications” listed in the subject line.
Job posted: 2021-05-24