Senior Director, Internal Communications
We are looking for an accomplished, senior level comms professional to lead internal communications for Reuters – the world’s largest multimedia news provider and a complex, global business going through a great deal of change. The role is responsible for leading the development and delivery of internal communications strategies to meet business objectives and galvanize staff around shared goals. They will be responsible for providing counsel, direction and regular communications materials to the President and Editor-in-Chief, as well as ad hoc support across the organisation. Also responsible for creation of content for use across communications channels, including presentations, web pages (intranet and media centre), reports, promotional materials like Reuters Best and social assets. They will manage members of the Communications team, based on business need and available headcount. This role will be reporting to the Vice President of Communications, Reuters, but also working closely with the Head of Internal Communications and Change, Thomson Reuters.
- Develops and implements innovative Communication strategies to support business goals.
- Manages the strategic direction and tactical deployment for initiatives consistent with overall TR direction.
- Oversees all internal communications channels across the business, including town halls, written communications, staff lunches, virtual meetings, video messages etc
- Ensures all materials are of delivered to a consistently high standard
- Develops new platforms and channels for effective communications
- Oversees the creation of communications materials and assets for use internally and externally
- Responsible for content creation within the communications team which includes executive presentations, promotional materials such as Reuters Best, internal and external web pages and assets for social channels
- Leads wider communications initiatives for Reuters as appropriate
- Creates effective systems to measure the performance of communications channels
- Actively seeks out best proactive in internal communications and ensures Reuters approaches are consistent
- Works closely with members of the Reuters Executive team to identify needs and opportunities
- Offers strategic counsel to both President and Editor-in-Chief to proactively manage their internal profiles
- Regularly prepares written materials and briefings for both the President and Editor-in-Chief
- Plays a fundamental role in cultural change projects and builds close relationships with HR to support business change programmes
- Represents Communications in a wide range of Reuters and TR forums
- Manages individual contributors and has overall responsibility for building and maintaining a high performance culture through effective performance management, communication and coaching of staff.
Scope & Impact
- A senior Internal Communications role directly supporting the Reuters BU.
- Responsible for providing internal comms strategy to the Head of SBU and their global leadership team to meet business objectives.
- Manages a staff of one or two direct reports at any given time based on business need and available headcount.
- Has broad business and managerial knowledge of the Internal Communications discipline.
- Has broad general knowledge of all relevant business relationships.
- Has broad understanding of businesses and other functional groups.
- Has a broad understanding of industry issues. Leverages relationships with key internal/external customers to support business needs.
- Communicates highly complex ideas to multiple organizational levels.
- Frequent interaction with other colleagues and senior customer representatives.
- Makes effective presentations to large and important groups, makes persuasive arguments to convince key customers to take action, and/or negotiates effective solutions between key individuals.
- Has full responsibility for quality and quantity of work, motivating staff, methods, discipline, staffing decisions and varied and complex supervisory duties
Knowledge & Skills
- Essential: First-class oral and written communications skills
- Gravitas to influence and manage senior stakeholders and build relationships as a trusted adviser
- At the same time, a willingness to get hands dirty: regularly writing messages and managing a large volume of activity
- Ability to handle sensitive/confidential information
- Knowledge of / experience in creation of digital content for communications purposes
- Computer proficiency in basic applications.
- Conversant in and able to use advanced media and various communication platforms.
- Ability to build network of sources and thrive in a highly matrixed organization.
- Ability to work in a team environment across business areas and effectively motivate and manage team members
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Ability to remain focused, objective, effective and concentrated under pressure.
- Innovative – ability to propose effective, original solutions.
- Strong attention to detail – ensures accuracy of communications.
- Skilled at planning, project management, time management, communicating, decision-making, presentations and human and organizational relations.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 25,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance – and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under applicable law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
We also make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Job posted: 2020-05-12