Senior Director – International Advocacy – ASEAN and Asia
Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a Senior Director for the International team to support and grow its advocacy efforts across Asia, with a focus on Southeast Asia (ASEAN), the South Pacific, and greater Asia. This includes developing and implementing advocacy strategies in key ASEAN and Asian markets and supporting PhRMA’s policy advocacy on intellectual property, market access, government pricing and reimbursement, health care financing, drug regulation, clinical trials and trade across Asia, with the United States government and other key stakeholders.
The individual will report to the Vice President, Asia and work with colleagues across the organization, member company staff and third parties to advance PhRMA’s advocacy goals.
The Senior Director is responsible for:
- Leading PhRMA’s policy advocacy efforts throughout ASEAN and other potential markets across wider Asia, including acting as industry’s key representative before the United States government and foreign governments on all matters related to the region.
- Developing and implementing in-country advocacy strategies in key ASEAN and Asian markets (e.g., Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam) through policy analysis, tracking in-country political, legislative and policy developments that affect the pharmaceutical industry, and engagement with PhRMA’s member companies in the United States and in-market.
- Developing materials to support PhRMA’s advocacy strategy with the United States and relevant foreign governments on key policy areas. Working in close partnership with local member company representatives, in-country associations, governments and other third-party groups to advance industry’s policy positions.
- Managing member company work groups, including preparing agendas, scheduling and facilitating regular calls to coordinate strategy and provide advocacy, project, and policy development updates to member companies. The Senior Director will also organize annual strategy sessions, as appropriate, in collaboration with local associations.
- Supporting PhRMA’s policy advocacy efforts, including through analyzing and overseeing consultant support and research, and developing talking points/presentations and presenting results of research to member companies and PhRMA staff.
- Maintaining and building strong relationships and coordinated policy positions with PhRMA’s sister associations and representing PhRMA and industry interests at other industry associations, forums, and meetings.
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks a proactive, collaborative, and action-oriented individual who is passionate about fostering public policies that encourage continued medical innovation. Key success factors for this role include strong interpersonal skills and team focus paired with the ability to work independently. The preferred candidate will bring substantive policy development and analytical expertise, excellent writing skills, and the ability to convey technical content in an audience-appropriate and compelling manner. This is a highly visible, fast-paced position that is both internally and externally facing. Accordingly, the successful candidate should be adaptable, able to reprioritize and shift gears quickly, comfortable in a high-pressure environment and be politically savvy, diplomatic, responsive, and mature.
Professional Experience / Requirements
- Master’s degree (Health Policy, Public Policy, Public Health, International Development, International Relations, Asian studies, Economics or related field preferred);
- 7 plus years of experience in international policy and/or government relations and advocacy;
- Expertise in the target markets (ASEAN) preferred and experience with U.S. and foreign government policymakers, regulatory agencies, trade organizations, academia and consultants;
- Experience with strategy, planning, program development and management;
- Ability to inspire confidence within the organization and with external constituencies in a multi-cultural environment;
- Ability to balance the needs of various internal and external parties with flexibility and a steady temperament; and
- Ability and willingness to travel on 6 to 8 international trips per year once international travel is safe and permitted post-COVID-19.
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested nearly $1 trillion in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $83 billion in 2019 alone.
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary and bonus program, various opportunities for reward and recognition and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, a wellbeing program, back-up care, health advocate service, employee assistance program and commuting benefits. We also offer a robust 401k plan with employer contributions upon the first day of hire and immediate vesting, a generous paid time off plan, seven paid holidays (plus inauguration day), half day Fridays preceding holidays and a paid winter break.
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities including an integrated on-boarding program, best-in-class leadership programming, tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, and other management/professional development programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities, fundraising drives and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
Job posted: 2021-05-13