Senior Director – International Advocacy (International Health Policy)
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a Senior Director for its International Advocacy team to develop policy positions, strategies and analysis to improve patient access to innovative medicines. The individual will work collaboratively across the organization and with member companies, trade associations and other stakeholders on international market access policy priorities. Specific policy issues include government pricing and reimbursement, health technology assessment, health care financing and trade-related market access barriers. Critical to this role is the ability to operate autonomously, confidently manage work across multiple stakeholder groups to ensure goals and deliverables are achieved in a timely manner.
The Senior Director will:
• Develop policy positions, strategies and analysis to advance international market access policy priorities;
• Work with senior leadership, member companies and other stakeholders to develop and advance policy proposals that help solve patient access barriers in key international markets;
• Synthesize and convert complex and technical information into clear, convincing and audience-appropriate written materials that support PhRMA’s advocacy efforts.
• Represent PhRMA at meetings with U.S. and foreign governments, member companies, trade associations, academia, think tanks, consultants and other stakeholders.
• Manage research projects and consultants to ensure high quality, timely and impactful work products.
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks a proactive, collaborative, and action-oriented individual who is passionate about fostering public policies that encourage continued medical innovation. Key success factors for this role include strong interpersonal skills and team focus paired with the ability to work independently. The preferred candidate will bring substantive policy development and analytical expertise, excellent writing skills and the ability to convey technical content in an audience-appropriate and compelling manner. This is a highly visible, fast-paced position that is both internally and externally facing. Accordingly, the successful candidate should be adaptable, able to reprioritize and shift gears quickly, comfortable in a high-pressure environment and be politically savvy, diplomatic, responsive and mature.
Professional Experience / Requirements
• Master’s degree in health policy, public policy, economics or a related field preferred;
• 7+ years of combined experience in health or public policy, research or advocacy;
• Strong analytical skills and knowledge of health economics preferred;
• Ability to synthesize, distill and communicate complex issues to a non-technical audience;
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and advocacy skills;
• Self-starter and strategic thinker with experience solving unique and complex problems with broad impact;
• Ability and willingness to travel on 6 to 10 international trips per year once international travel is safe and permitted post-COVID-19.
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested nearly $1 trillion in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $83 billion in 2019 alone.
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary and bonus program, various opportunities for reward and recognition and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, a wellbeing program, back-up care, health advocate service, employee assistance program and commuting benefits. We also offer a robust 401k plan with employer contributions upon the first day of hire and immediate vesting, a generous paid time off plan, seven paid holidays (plus inauguration day), half day Fridays preceding holidays and a paid winter break.
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities including an integrated on-boarding program, best-in-class leadership programming, tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, and other management/professional development programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities, fundraising drives and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
Job posted: 2021-01-30