Senior Director – International Advocacy
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a Senior Director for its International Advocacy team to develop policy positions, strategies, and analysis to improve patient access to innovative medicines. The individual will work collaboratively across the organization and with member companies, trade associations, and other stakeholders on international market access policy priorities. Specific policy issues include government pricing and reimbursement, health technology assessment, health care financing, and trade-related market access barriers. Critical to this role is the ability to operate autonomously, confidently manage work across multiple stakeholder groups to ensure goals and deliverables are achieved in a timely manner.
The Senior Director will:
- Develop innovative policy positions, strategies, and analysis to advance international market access policy priorities in conjunction with International policy team lead;
- Take complex and technical information and creating clear, convincing and audience-appropriate written materials to support PhRMA’s international advocacy efforts. Materials may include articles, talking points, presentation materials and summary reports.
- Collaborate with member companies and other stakeholders to advance policy proposals that help solve patient access barriers in key overseas markets;
- Manage research projects and consultants to ensure high quality, timely, and impactful work products;
- Represent the organization at meetings with US and foreign governments, member companies, trade associations, academia, think tanks, consultants, and other stakeholders.
- Plan and implement PhRMA’s international activities through effective project management that may include the following: coordinating among subject matter experts and regional leads to develop, maintain and track project plans and budgets; develop and maintain reporting procedures and tools and serve as a point of contact for internal and external stakeholders to address requests for information.
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks a proactive, collaborative, and action-oriented individual who is passionate about fostering public policies that encourage continued medical innovation. Key success factors for this role include strong interpersonal skills and team focus paired with the ability to work independently. The preferred candidate will bring substantive policy development and analytical expertise, excellent writing skills, and the ability to convey technical content in an audience-appropriate and compelling manner. This is a highly visible, fast-paced position that is both internally and externally facing. Accordingly, the successful candidate should be adaptable, able to reprioritize and shift gears quickly, comfortable in a high-pressure environment and be politically savvy, diplomatic, responsive, and mature.
Professional Experience / Requirements
- Master’s degree in health policy, public policy, economics, or a related field preferred;
- 5+ years of experience in health or public policy, research, or advocacy;
- Strong analytical skills and knowledge of health economics preferred;
- Ability to synthesize, distill, and communicate complex issues to a non-technical audience;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and writing skills;
- Self-starter and strategic thinker with experience solving unique and complex problems with broad impact;
- Availability to travel internationally 25% of time.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-01-03