Senior Director, International Public Affairs
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Senior Director International Public Affairs leads AbbVie’s Public Affairs organization outside of the U.S. and is responsible for AbbVie’s Communication and Patient Advocacy strategies, supporting the company’s business goals.
This leader has a proven track record of achieving business impact in diverse geographies through successfully managing relevant stakeholder relationships and by building and developing functional organizations with a clear strategic focus.
- Set the strategic direction for AbbVie’s international Public Affairs organization, in alignment with the company’s strategic roadmap and business priorities.
- Drive external communication and patient advocacy strategies for AbbVie and its brands in all regions outside of the U.S.
- Enhance and uphold the Public Affairs organization and its talent capabilities at HQ, Areas and Affiliates.
- Contribute to the development of global business strategies and act as a strategic counsellor to senior commercial leaders on Public Affairs strategy.
- Identify reputational risks for AbbVie’s business internationally and put plans in place to reduce, minimize or eliminate those risks.
- Lead the Global Public Affairs team in a complex, fast-paced environment, ensuring impactful execution of Public Affairs programs that protect access to AbbVie medicines internationally.
- Lead WEC and JEM&A Area Public Affairs teams, managing Area level reputational risks and put plans in place to reduce, minimize or eliminate those risks.
- Work closely with media from around the world to build an understanding and appreciation of the brands, the Company and business priorities internationally.
- Oversee international media engagement plans that elevate the reputation of the brands, as per the priorities defined within the function and aligned with commercial strategies.
- Coordinate and set strategic direction for the engagement with Patient Groups internationally.
- Comprehensively analyse the stakeholder environment and gathers insights to inform strategic planning, objectives and key business decisions.
- Drive the functional capabilities and help set optimal structure for Public Affairs organization in the affiliates, composed by around 150 individuals.
- Oversee external communication of AbbVie’s late-stage and on-market assets.
- Ensure affiliate global brand pull-through strategies and tactics, affiliate launch readiness and generally supporting affiliate execution at all levels.
- Work very closely with all relevant functional leaders, including Government Affairs, Market Access and Medical Affairs, to implement strategies that drive recognition of the differentiated value of AbbVie’s medicines and enable better health outcomes.
- Drive an ambitious talent development approach, with a charted, purposeful vision, aligned with functional and commercial priorities and is responsible for inspiring the team to achieve above and beyond the standard of good practices.
- Create an energetic, results oriented and collaborative environment, where people are valued and encouraged to be creative, and are well informed and feel included.
- Consistently measure the success of the initiatives developed against the set of goals and integrates the learnings back into strategy design seeking permanent improvement.
- Responsible for ensuring a strong issues management process.
- Supervise PR firms, outside vendors, contractors, etc.
- Oversee budget +$5MM.
- Comply with and advocate for the company’s policies and procedures to meet statutory, quality and business requirements within the overall strategy and objectives of AbbVie.
- Act as an ambassador of the AbbVie brand and best place to work message to attract quality and diverse talent by engaging in internal and external communications and speaking opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree, ideally in communications, public relations or journalism.
- 15+ years of experience in progressive leadership roles with a strong foundation in stakeholder engagement, media relations and general management with prior experience leading a P&L.
- Working experience in and knowledge of the biopharmaceutical industry.
- Demonstrated and consistent experience in successfully leading organizational change with a strong level of emotional intelligence.
- Strong executive presence, judgment, business acumen, leadership skills and emotional intelligence.
- Cultural sensitivity to work very effectively cross-functionally and with the international leaders.
- Outstanding/best-in-class partnering skills with an entrepreneurial spirit to lead a multidisciplinary team and drive commercial decisions in a highly matrixed organization to accomplish business goals.
- Orientation to excellence, organizing and marshalling resources, using good judgment and socializing programs.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and lead teams and have the managerial courage to make and stand by difficult decisions.
- Capable of attracting and developing world-class commercial talent.
- Operates with an enterprise perspective, able to inspire and motivate others toward a shared purpose.
- Manages inclusively and equitably; deals comfortably with risk and ambiguity, changing course when needed.
- Makes timely, high-quality decisions with less than perfect information.
- Able to act consistently with AbbVie’s ethics, obligations and the law.
- Simplifies how work gets done, removing needless bureaucracy.
- Acts respectfully yet courageously; says what needs to be said openly and honestly.
- Manages conflict and difficult conversations in a constructive, transparent way.
- Creates an environment in which people appropriately experiment and challenge the status quo.
- Persistent and resilient—finds the way to move good ideas forward.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-02-25