Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Director, Media Relations
At Adtalem Global Education, we seek to empower students and members to achieve their goals, find success and make inspiring contributions to our global community. Adtalem is a leading healthcare educator that partners with organizations to proactively address future workforce needs and empowers career development with access to world-class academic curriculums, certifications and training programs across the medical and healthcare industries.
Adtalem institutions and companies include: American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine, Chamberlain University, Ross University School of Medicine, Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine, and Walden University. (NYSE: ATGE; member S&P MidCap 400 Index) For more information, please visit adtalem.com.
We are a high-performing team that meets in person to learn and collaborate as needed. This role is considered hybrid, which means you’ll be assigned to our Chicago office and given the flexibility to work remotely. We are looking for someone to be on-site 2-3 days a week.
Opportunity at a Glance
The Senior Director, Media Relations is responsible for the development and implementation of Adtalem Global Education’s strategy and approach to earned media storytelling. The Senior Director, Media Relations is a strategic leader with deep experience in media relations. In this role, they will manage a team of public relations professionals, as well as outside agencies and other resources to drive the enterprise external communications strategy through earned media storytelling and enhance and protect the company brand.
Communications Strategy and Leadership
- Develops and oversees execution of an integrated media relations plan, directly managing proactive earned media strategy and activities that advance that advance Adtalem Global Education’s reputation and brand narrative among key external stakeholders.
- Creates a earned media and storytelling strategy that will allow Adtalem Global Education to cultivate meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences.
- Provides strategic media relations counsel and leadership to Adtalem Global Education’s CEO, executive leadership team and institution leaders positively positioning the organization and its institutions.
- Identifies challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization; works with team across Adtalem Global Education institutions to recognize and deliver solutions to reputational risks and opportunities.
- Serves as an ambassador for the organization, building constructive relationships with top tier media.
- Works closely with Government Relations, Compliance, Investor Relations and Corporate Communications teams to ensure integration and understanding of the earned media strategy, as well as processes and procedures for proactive and reactive media engagement.
- Promotes a culture of high performance and continuous improvement; supports and demonstrates Adtalem Global Education’s values.
- Oversees the development and execution of all Adtalem Global Education and institution media relations and storytelling strategy.
- Directs the activities and oversees ROI of all external communications consultants/vendor relations.
- Exercises judgment in prioritizing proactive and reactive media opportunities, directing and preparing talking points and key messages, media briefing documents, and executive-level presentations.
- Serves as spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote or impact the organization.
- Leads the Adtalem Global Education media relations team, with responsibility for Adtalem Global Education and its institutions’ press, media management, news bureau, newsrooms, etc.
- Directs the day-to-day activities of the media relations function including budgeting, planning and colleague development.
- Establishes and monitors team performance and development goals, assigns accountabilities and objectives, establishes priorities, conducts annual performance appraisals and compensation reviews.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
- Complies with all policies and standards
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, communications required or related field
- an advance degree Preferred
- 15 years experience in media relations.
- Experience in strategic communications leadership, including the development and implementation of comprehensive external communications programs and reputation management.
- Experience leading and developing successful teams, reporting directly and indirectly (on a centralized and decentralized basis).
- Experience working with all levels of management, including senior executives.
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top-tier media, and in successfully positioning subject matter experts with the media to achieve high-impact results.
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented.
- Energetic, collaborative and proactive; a team leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical initiatives.
- Extensive writing and editing experience; strong writing, critical thinking, creative and organizational skills.
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical professional as well as a strategic thinker and leader.
In support of the pay transparency laws enacted across the country, the expected salary range for this position is between $133,832 and $241,871. Actual pay will be adjusted based on job-related factors permitted by law, such as experience and training; geographic location; licensure and certifications; market factors; departmental budgets; and responsibility. Our Talent Acquisition Team will be happy to answer any questions you may have, and we look forward to learning more about your salary requirements. The position qualifies for the below benefits.
Adtalem offers a robust suite of benefits including:
- Health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- 401k Retirement Program + 6% employer match
- Participation in Adtalem’s Flexible Time Off (FTO) Policy
- 12 Paid Holidays
For more information related to our benefits please visit: https://careers.adtalem.com/benefits
You are also eligible to participate in an annual incentive program, subject to the rules governing the program, whereby an award, if any, depends on various factors, including, without limitation, individual and organizational performance.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. At Adtalem, we welcome everyone and have a strong commitment towards diversity and inclusion. We encourage our Colleagues to be their true authentic selves and support laws that prohibit discrimination everywhere we do business. We also maintain a drug-free workplace.
Job posted: 2023-05-20