Senior Director, North America Public Policy
Sonder is revolutionizing hospitality through innovative, tech-powered service and inspiring, thoughtfully designed accommodations combined into one seamlessly managed experience. Officially launched in 2014 and headquartered in San Francisco, Sonder is making a world of better stays open to all with a variety of accommodation options — from rooms to suites and apartments — found in more than 30 cities spanning eight countries and three continents. Sonder’s innovative app empowers guests by making self-service features and 24/7 on-the-ground support just a tap away. From simple self check-in to boutique bathroom amenities, we bring the best of a hotel without any of the formality.
Sonder’s public policy department supports every aspect of Sonder growth. The Sonder public policy team partners with cross functional teams internally to proactively engage policy makers and other community stakeholders to support our growth and operations in every city. We aim to comply with all applicable regulations and engage with local communities proactively in order to align our business strategy to local requirements.
We’re looking for a Senior Director for Public Policy for North America to lead our small but growing public policy team and advocacy strategy in the region. This public policy professional will be based in North America and be responsible for all aspects of Sonder’s public policy work, including directly engaging with government officials on priority public policy issues in Canada, the U.S. and Mexico. The ideal candidate for this position will have led a political or public policy team or consultants and have a background in and a passion for hospitality, housing or technology policy and politics. This public policy professional will work closely with the company’s real estate, city operations and legal teams, and will report into Sonder’s Vice President for Corporate Affairs.
If you are interested in building a collaborative, world-class public policy department from the ground up; are a self-confident and experienced policy or political professional unafraid of a very dynamic work environment; and are looking for an immediate impact and responsibility, we welcome your application.
AT SONDER YOU WILL:
- Lead Sonder’s public policy and government affairs programs for North America and serve as a spokesperson for the company to government, industry groups and civil society stakeholders.
- Lead and build a team of public policy professionals.
- Collaborate with business, policy, communications, and legal teams internally to ensure that any efforts assigned or undertaken are in alignment with the company’s overall mission, messaging, and strategy.
- Establish and execute strategies for policy, legislative advocacy, and political engagement.
- Maintain and develop strong relationships with elected officials and government appointees.
- Develop written analysis, testimony, and background materials as necessary in support of the company’s objectives.
- Identify allies and build coalitions of like-minded groups including but not limited to think tanks, public interest groups, and academia.
- Hiring and managing public affairs firms in key markets.
- Identify opportunities for internal policy or process improvements and implement them.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR:
- Evidence of exceptional ability
- Proven track record of learning quickly, taking initiative, working proactively and being resourceful
- Excellent knowledge of the legislative process at various levels of government
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, and excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to effectively communicate complex policy information to a wide variety of audiences
- Energetic, collaborative, and willing to take on all variety of assignments as part of a small but dynamic team
- Detail-oriented, self-initiating, well-organised, and capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously and independently in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently as well as on teams with diverse personalities and skill levels
- A creative problem solver who is open to new ideas and new approaches
- Minimum of ten years of relevant policy or political experience, including some management experience and a strong preference for candidates who have existing private sector public policy experience.
- Excelled in school; bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree a plus
We also have great benefits to make your life easier so you can focus on what you’re best at:
- Competitive salary
- Generous stock option plan
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Unlimited vacation
- Annual free credits and discounts to stay in Sonders
- A company with a huge vision, a dynamic work environment, and a team of smart, ambitious and fun to work-with colleagues!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status or other protected classes.
Job posted: 2021-09-19