Senior Director, Patient Advocacy
Scholar Rock is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company creating a robust pipeline of therapeutics with the potential to transform the lives of patients suffering from serious diseases, including neuromuscular disorders, cancer, fibrosis, and anemia. Our proprietary platform is rooted in our structural biology insights into the activation of latent growth factor precursors and drives the discovery and development of monoclonal antibodies that locally and selectively target these signaling proteins at the cellular level. By exploiting structural differences in the precursor, or latent forms of growth factors, Scholar Rock intends to avoid the historical dose-limiting safety challenges associated with inhibiting the mature form of growth factors for therapeutic effect.
Our first product candidate, SRK-015, is a highly specific inhibitor of the activation of latent myostatin, being evaluated in our TOPAZ Phase 2 proof-of-concept trial for the treatment of patients with Type 2 and Type 3 Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA). A pre-planned six month interim analysis of the TOPAZ trial was conducted and positive results were reported in October 2020. Treatment with SRK-015 led to improvements in Hammersmith scale scores (primary efficacy endpoint that measures motor function) in all three evaluated cohorts of patients and no safety signals were identified from the interim analysis. Top-line data for the full 12-month treatment period are anticipated in the second quarter of 2021. SRK-015 has been granted Orphan Drug Designation and Rare Pediatric Disease Designation by the US FDA and Orphan Medicinal Product Designation by the European Commission for the treatment of SMA.
Our second product candidate, SRK-181, is a potent and highly selective inhibitor of latent TGFβ1 activation. An ongoing DRAGON Phase 1 proof-of-concept trial is evaluating SRK-181 in patients with locally advanced or metastatic solid tumors. An update on dose escalation is expected in 4Q20 with clinical response and safety data anticipated in 2H21. We believe SRK-181 has the potential to meaningfully increase the number of patients who can benefit from checkpoint inhibitor therapy by overcoming primary resistance to anti-PD-(L)1 antibodies.
Summary of Position:
Patients are the driving force of Scholar Rock’s mission as we advance our science to improve the lives of patients. Patient advocacy is a critical new position for Scholar Rock – this role will be responsible for developing and executing a leading strategy to engage and build relationships with patient advocacy organizations and key opinion leaders worldwide. This position will report to the Vice President of Investor Relations and Corporate Affairs and will collaborate with team members across drug discovery, development, and pre-commercialization functions to maximize Scholar Rock’s engagement and support of patients and caregivers.
This role will be responsible for building a patient advocacy function that will drive awareness, support patient programs, and bring the patient perspective and voice to Scholar Rock’s mission and vision. The position will span across disease areas as Scholar Rock is a platform company with the two leading indications being spinal muscular atrophy and cancer immunotherapy.
- Engage and partner with patient advocacy organizations, key opinion leaders, policy makers, and patients/caregivers to advance Scholar Rock’s patient-oriented objectives and mission.
- Identify and advance projects, programs, and events to understand and address patient and caregiver needs and drive strategies across areas of therapeutic focus
- Collaborate with professional organizations and key opinion leaders to support advocacy and policy engagement and educate on Scholar Rock’s science, research, and development programs.
- Build and lead relationships with various advocacy groups and professional organizations to ensure productive partnerships and alliance
- Implement strategies to drive disease awareness, patient speaker engagement, clinical trial awareness, and policy improvements
- Oversee company-sponsored patient advocacy events to appropriately engage employees and champion the patient voice and experience to further the patient-centric mindset
- Support development and execution of government affairs and planning and strategy and advise the senior leadership team on existing and emerging policy and impact on Scholar Rock’s mission
- Interfaces with medical affairs to ensure coordination and alignment with KOL, ad boards and medical education activities
- Serves as a representative of the organization to ensure information communicated is accurate and up to date regarding organizational activities and industry trends.
- Stays current of new developments and ideas in the field of advocacy relations and incorporates such developments, ideas and strategies into the development and execution of programs
- Ensures department’s adherence to company policies and quality system requirements, as well as other legal and regulatory directives
- 12+years of biopharmaceutical/industry experience and 6+ years of direct patient advocacy experience
- Effective communicator (verbal and written) and strong interpersonal skills that can build and progress relationships internally and externally
- Track record of leading advocacy strategies and campaigns – strategic thinker with solid understanding of drug development, regulatory, and commercial processes and proven understanding of relevant regulations and guidelines
- Ability to lead and independently drive projects forward with tangible results
- Ability to solve challenges and resolve conflicts with sound judgement and minimal supervision
- Must be agile and able to adapt to the quick pace of the company
- Bachelors degree required
Scholar Rock is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Job posted: 2021-03-13