Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Director of Policy
Founded in 2018 The RTW Charitable Foundation (RTWCF) is the charitable arm of RTW Investments, a leading healthcare-focused entrepreneurial investment firm dedicated to scientific innovation and life changing therapies for rare diseases. Research and drug development for many rare diseases is underfunded given the limited commercial opportunities for these types of drugs in the market. The Foundation was created to ensure that the best science is advanced despite financial and regulatory limitations. It believes saving lives is worth the cost of innovation and provides capital, logistical support and advocacy to directly support patients and their families.
RTWCF is built on three strategic pillars: Rare-disease research, policy and education, and humanitarian work. The rare-disease research pillar focuses on developing therapeutics for ultra-rare diseases through a combination of research grants, venture philanthropy, and the RTWCF Research Institute. Through the policy vertical, RTWCF promotes medical innovation and patient access to treatments through education, awareness, and economic research. The humanitarian pillar supports communities in New York City and globally through health-based initiatives.
Headquartered in New York City, RTWCF is led by a team of 10 and overseen by senior advisors from RTW Investments. For more information, please visit: www.rtwcf.org
Mission and Vision
The mission of the RTWCF is to power rare disease research, medical innovation and humanitarian collaborations to improve the health of underserved communities.
The vision of RTWCF is to work towards a world free of ultra-rare diseases.
RTWCF is launching its Policy Institute, which the inaugural Senior Director of Policy will establish and lead. Innovations in medicine have progressed science to where cures for rare diseases are now possible. This is an exceptional opportunity to create a policy environment that supports funding and legislation for research, cures, and treatment at an innovative and bold philanthropy.
For the newly established role of Senior Director of Policy (Senior Director), we are seeking an experienced and highly accomplished candidate to drive the creation and refinement of a strategic policy agenda for key issue areas and oversee the execution of innovative and high-impact policy campaigns at the federal level.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Senior Director will provide strategic leadership in the development and implementation of the organization’s campaigns and legislative agendas to ensure that policy goals are achieved. The Senior Director will drive RTWCF’s policy research project agenda, develop and maintain relationships with the legislature, and publish additional information and content via social media or other channels.
With responsibility for programmatic management and coordination, the Senior Director will provide direct supervision and oversight to three work areas:
Policy Research Coordination
- Develop and maintain relationship with healthcare policy consultants for new RTWCF economic published research.
- Initiate ideas that can contribute to the development of further research.
- Conduct and draft original research in support of RTWCF’s priorities.
- Develop a political voice for RTWCF by drafting content that can be published on social media channels and the internet in accordance with RTWCF priorities.
- Track progress of RTWCF legislative agendas and policy campaigns and coordinate with RTWCF Communications Department to promote the organization’s policy developments with key stakeholders.
- Contribute to the development of RTWCF general communications content.
- Identify and develop relationships with priority members and teams in legislature to help inform and guide policy development.
- Identify and develop relationships with the FDA to help inform and guide policy development.
- Develop a process to review legislative and advocacy campaigns to ensure they are strategically focused and driven by RTWCF’s mission and vision; and provide appropriate leadership and oversight to ensure success.
In collaboration with the Foundation’s leadership, the Senior Director will lead the Institute’s efforts to shift narratives about public research, the cost of treatments, and how genetic data is collected, studied and purposed. Strategy development and leadership responsibilities include the following:
- Develop and manage programmatic initiatives and campaigns that move RTWCF toward its vision; and work with staff and leadership to develop, track and communicate project goals, timelines, and deliverables related to those initiatives and campaigns.
- Provide leadership and support, as appropriate, for new cross-programmatic initiatives.
- Oversee a process of internal communication, coordination, documentation, and evaluation for RTWCF policy areas.
- Build and nurture effective multi-organizational coalitions and alliances.
- Maintain effective lines of communications among RTWCF leadership.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer, proactively propose and develop new work and partnerships that may be cross-cutting or new to the organization.
- Support organization-wide planning, development, and communication activities as needed and ensure adherence to RTWCF’s goals and policies.
The role requires a leader with strategic vision, tactical ability and interest in storytelling. They will work to develop robust, healthy relationships with legislators, pertinent agencies and the public in order to develop an institution, craft policy and remediate barriers to innovation in health. Additionally, the new Policy Director will have the following:
- At least five years of nonprofit, philanthropic, or governmental experience focused on healthcare policy issues with at least three years in a leadership role;
- Prior experience conducting policy research, tracking legislation, setting policy goals, and crafting strategy to achieve outcomes;
- A deep understanding of the inner workings of the Hill and talent for identifying legislation that has the potential to advance RTWCF’s goals;
- A strong aptitude for generating political will and gaining momentum through engagement of stakeholders and the general public;
- Experience building effective collaborations and partnerships at the federal level;
- Knowledge of federal regulatory bodies and an understanding of how to manage relationships with regulators to support research funding. Prior experience with the FDA and or field of health is ideal;
- Bachelor’s degree is required. A Master’s degree, ideally a M.P.P., M.P.A., M.H.A., or M.B.A. is preferred.
The Senior Director will be dedicated to advancing change in the world and motivated to craft strategies that amplify tangible shifts in public policy through meaningful engagement and education. The ideal candidate thrives in a small team while working with multiple external stakeholders and the public to advance lifesaving research. The successful candidate will be a thoughtful, creative, compassionate and dynamic leader and manager who excels at policy development. Additionally, they will bring:
- Appreciation for developing strategy and building new initiatives;
- Passion for science and patient impact;
- Self-motivation enhanced by curiosity and a desire to learn;
- Ability to navigate ambiguity in a fast-paced environment and to prioritize based on context;
- Strong organizational and project management skills supported by attention to detail;
- Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong collaboration skills and the ability to cultivate and sustain relationships across groups;
- Ability to successfully manage crises and rapid change;
- A growth mindset with a strong appreciation for learning and development;
- Must thrive and be a thought partner in a startup culture.
The salary range for this position is $150,000 – $200,000. RTWCF provides an excellent benefits package, including 100% employer paid health insurance, a generous PTO policy and holiday schedule.
Ideally, the Senior Director of Policy will live in the New York City metro area. For the exceptional candidate they are seeking, RTWCF is open to candidates who reside along the Northeast Corridor.
Please submit a résumé and original cover letter that describes your interest in the organization’s mission and qualifications for the position as attachments via e-mail to:
Bryan Epps, Consultant
1740 Broadway, 15th Floor
New York, NY 10019
Phone: 212.531.5003 | Fax: 212.203.9599
Visit our website and apply to our job using this link: https://bit.ly/3ImY3Zd
All inquiries will be held in strict confidence. Please note that your education, dates of employment and other information will be verified prior to an offer.
McCormack + Kristel works only with equal opportunity employers. RTW is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all employees, including qualified employment applicants. RTW strives to maintain an environment free of discrimination based on race, color, religion gender, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, or any other protected category or characteristics as defined by federal, state, or local laws.
Job posted: 2022-07-08