Senior Director, Policy and Federal Government Affairs
Autism Speaks is dedicated to promoting solutions, across the spectrum and throughout the lifespan, for the needs of individuals with autism and their families through advocacy and support; increasing understanding and acceptance of autism spectrum disorder; and advancing research into causes and better interventions for autism spectrum disorder and related conditions. Come join us as a Senior Director, Policy and Federal Government Affairs in Washington, DC!
PURPOSE: Lead a team that works to pass and implement federal legislation, advocates before federal agencies, and takes other actions that improve outcomes for individuals with autism and their families.
- Serve as one of the key public leaders of Autism Speaks’ advocacy efforts, advising and assisting the Senior Vice President, Advocacy
- Lead federal advocacy efforts to improve outcomes for individuals with autism and their families within the Advocacy Department and across Autism Speaks
- Oversee the management of federal policy portfolios and manage individual portfolios as need.
- Ensure relationships with new and current stakeholders, including but not limited to federal policymakers, are maintained and developed
- Represent Autism Speaks at meetings with federal legislative and agency staff, colleague advocacy organizations, and other government and non-government partners
- Ensure all legislation, regulations, and other developments that could affect federal advocacy are being monitored and tracked
- Ensure Autism Speaks’ lobbying efforts comply with applicable laws
- Lead and support research on policy issues related to federal advocacy
- Create and or edit policy briefs and other relevant external materials related to Federal Government Affairs
- Attend meetings, conferences, webinars, and events on behalf of Autism Speaks
- Ensure that Policy and Federal Government Affairs efforts are coordinated and integrated through cross-functional collaboration across the organization
- Lead, mentor, monitor, train, and develop direct reports
- Oversee the day to day performance and achievement of the federal advocacy team
(The responsibilities listed above are representative and not all inclusive. Other duties may be assigned by supervisor/s. As outlined in your performance goal setting forms, you will be responsible for achieving the goals provided by and agreed upon with your manager.)
Education: Bachelor’s degree required. Juris Doctor or other advanced degree preferred
EXPERIENCE: 10+ years of related experience with a strong legislative or executive agency background. 5+ years of experience leading multi-member staff teams. Proven success in a matrix environment. Experience managing team and remote staff preferred. Background and accomplishment in science, health policy, education, employment, service delivery, or other aspects of federal policy preferred.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
- Extremely polished and professional demeanor, excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong ability to research information; dynamic and innovative thinker
- Comfortable relating to senior executives and volunteer stakeholders
- Detail oriented, highly organized, with ability to work independently with minimal supervision and as a team member
- Solid administrative skills and a high level of proficiency in MS Office, Excel, PowerPoint, and social media
- Knowledge of autism and experience with individuals with autism and their families preferred
- Flexible and eager to take on additional responsibility as needed
· Building Collaborative Relationships
· Professional Behavior
· Results Driven
· Customer Orientation
You are responsible for protecting the confidentiality, integrity and availability of all Autism Speaks data and information to which you have access.
Autism Speaks offers a competitive compensation package and the opportunity to enhance lives today and accelerate a spectrum of solutions for tomorrow for individuals with autism and their families.
For consideration, please forward your resume and cover letter.
Only those applicants who meet the hiring criteria will be considered and contacted by Human Resources. Autism Speaks is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply for job openings. Reasonable accommodations will be provided.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-09-30