Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Director, Policy and Strategy
Join an organization at the forefront of health advocacy across the nation
Community Catalyst is a leading non-profit national health advocacy organization dedicated to advancing a movement for health equity and justice. We partner with local, state and national advocates to leverage and build power so all people can influence decisions that affect their health. Health systems will not be accountable to people without a fully engaged and organized community voice. That’s why we work every day to ensure people’s interests are represented wherever important decisions about health and health care are made: in communities, state houses and on Capitol Hill. For more information, visit http://www.communitycatalyst.org. Follow us on Twitter @CommCatHealth
Community Catalyst recently concluded a significant five-year strategic planning process. The plan pushes the organization to focus its work on race equity and health justice, long-term vision setting, and power building; it also requires a bold new approach to Community Catalyst’s policy work – with a focus on bridging the policy work of today with long-term vision-setting. The Senior Director, Policy and Strategy role is critical to the success of the organization’s new strategic direction and overall organizational advancement.
Reporting to the Executive Director, and serving as an integral member of the senior management team, the Senior Director, Policy and Strategy is responsible for leading the organization’s public policy work – including proactive development of creative policy solutions (both short and long-term); building collaborative partnerships with organizations at the local, state, and national level; and the design and execution of strategies to protect and advance legislative and administrative priorities that meet the needs of people, especially those most harmed by the health system today. The Senior Director, Policy and Strategy will oversee a growing policy team and drive Community Catalyst’s policy work and impact to the next level.
The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader who flourishes in building thoughtful, resonant policy and related processes, who is strategic and focused, and who can effectively manage multiple issues and projects simultaneously. They will enjoy mentoring staff and cultivating sharp advocacy and leadership skills within the team. They will have a demonstrated commitment to advancing race equity and health justice; substantial public policy and legislative experience; and experience in working in coalitions to develop and advance shared goals. They will also have significant team leadership experience. Candidates should be prepared to articulate how they will approach developing policy development processes centered in race equity and health justice.
The position offers a rare opportunity to re-envision Community Catalyst’s policy work at a unique and exciting organizational inflection point.
● Serve as the lead advisor and thought leader on all policy matters – including administrative, legislative, and sector developments.
● Oversee team-wide efforts to build partnerships with local, state, and national organizations in service of developing and advancing shared policy goals.
● Working in partnership with team leadership and others, oversee the development of new ways of engaging with, and supporting the policy work of, coalition partners at the local and state level.
● Lead a collaborative process, substantively engaging key stakeholders and partners, to build a long-term policy vision for change that anchors race equity and health justice – and is rooted in community leadership and perspective.
● Oversee the development of frameworks, and related tools, to assess how shorter term policy objectives set the stage for longer-term policy goals.
● Anticipate emerging policy issues of importance and position Community Catalyst to address those issues.
Policy Oversight and Integration.
● Ensure strong organization-wide processes are in place to propel Community Catalyst’s policy and government affairs work – and design high-level strategies that advance Community Catalyst’s (and our partners’) policy goals.
● Oversee the development of an overarching policy strategy that builds towards the long-term policy vision established with partners and other stakeholders.
● Drive efforts to ensure organizational alignment on how the organization strategically engages in short and medium-term policy work.
● Integrate policy work across programs and initiatives in an effort to harness and deploy Community Catalyst and our partner’s influence, and to position health equity policy issues more broadly.
● Operate as a central decision-maker on policy campaign work — shaping budgeting decisions, campaign priorities, policy agendas, and messaging frames.
● Oversee the development of processes to ensure more consistent and comprehensive monitoring of policy developments and trends that impact Community Catalyst’s mission.
● Lead the process to develop, grow, and maintain an influential position for Community Catalyst among policymakers and related influencers.
● Oversee Community Catalyst’s advocacy efforts to advance legislative, regulatory, and administrative policy goals – and to determine which policy levers are most important and impactful at any given time.
● Work collaboratively within the Senior Management Team (SMT) to ensure organization wide alignment on policy and advocacy campaign goals, design, and execution.
● Serve as an expert external spokesperson for the organization in the media, appear on panels and other speaking engagements.
● Serve as a point of engagement for funders and donors, in partnership with the development team.
Team Development and Management
● Ensure policy team leaders and members are clear on roles and responsibilities and have opportunities to engage and grow in policy development work.
● Provide leadership, direction, and professional development to multiple director level leaders and, more broadly, to a team of highly skilled policy specialists.
● Promote a culture of impact and continuous learning that embeds the organization’s values.
● Mentor and develop policy directors using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis.
● Oversee the development of team-wide budget management processes and actively participate in broader leadership efforts to align policy and programmatic work with financial stewardship and related processes.
● In partnership with the development team and other senior leaders, actively participate in fundraising efforts.
● Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals – set objectives, establish priorities, and conduct performance appraisals.
● Serve as a core leader in Community Catalyst’s efforts to establish and implement race equity and health justice goals for the organization.
● Contribute to organization-wide efforts to center race equity in Community Catalyst’s work and to build a more inclusive organization.
The Sr. Director, Policy and Strategy reports to the Executive Director. The Sr. Director will directly supervise policy team leaders and indirectly the entire policy team.
● 10+ years of successful leadership experience leading and managing public policy teams in a non-profit, association, and/or state government/Capitol Hill/administration setting.
● Organizational leadership and management experience – ability to motivate others to advance goals, and the ability to effectively manage multiple projects or roles in a rapidly evolving environment.
● Experience as a strategist, working closely with executive and legislative bodies, agencies, and departments at the state and/or federal level.
● Experience working with Capitol Hill and/or state legislatures/governors offices, and skills and relationships to provide high-level direction to the policy and government affairs function of the organization.
● Excellent communicator – ability to effectively interface with senior leadership, Community Catalyst’s Board of Directors, and staff.
● Proven ability to work in coalition with a broad range of organizations on an issue and with sophisticated campaign strategies.
● Campaign development and execution experience.
● Excellent people management skills, ensuring staff are meeting goals and objectives in a sustainable way and growing professionally.
● Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills – ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs.
● Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into impactful action plans.
● Collaborative and proactive leader.
● Passion for Community Catalyst’s mission and for the role policy can play in making our country more just and free.
BENEFITS & SALARY
● Salary: $140,000 – 155,000
● Generous paid time off policy
● Robust benefits package
● Location: Flexible, can be based anywhere within the USA
Applicants should submit a resume with a one page cover letter briefly summarizing their interest in and qualifications for the position to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Senior Director of Policy and Strategy” in the subject line.
Community Catalyst is strongly committed to building a work environment that recognizes, respects, and encourages the unique contributions of a broad spectrum of qualified employees. We strive to make employment decisions that support inclusion to maintain a work atmosphere that is diverse, equitable and promotes family-friendly practices and work-life benefits so that people of diverse backgrounds and lifestyles may grow personally and professionally.
We do not discriminate in hiring based on age, color, ethnicity, race, national origin, primary language, religion, socio-economic status, family status, mental and physical disabilities, veteran status, gender identity characteristics and/or expression, sex, medical condition, sexual orientation or any other classification that is protected by federal, state, or local law.
Through all of our programs, Community Catalyst works to build a better future for all individuals by advancing health equity, focusing on people of color, immigrants, as well as disability, gender, sexual identity and socio-economic status. It is important for our staff to reflect the diverse communities with which we work. People of color, LGBTQ identified people, gender-nonconforming people, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and people who speak a language in addition to English are encouraged to apply.
Job posted: 2022-07-09