Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a Senior Director to lead the Public Affairs team’s efforts on international issues such as intellectual property, trade, access, pricing and reimbursement. The Senior Director will provide a wide range of guidance and support to PhRMA’s International Advocacy team and to PhRMA’s “sister” associations in other countries. The position will also support PhRMA’s domestic intellectual property and trade teams.
The Senior Director will:
- Provide public affairs guidance on international issues with emphasis on international intellectual property, trade, access, pricing and reimbursement. Draft media responses, talking points, social media content, op-eds, testimony and other communications materials, being attuned to sensitive to political and cultural issues and the varied industry and regulatory environments internationally.
- Serve as primary resource for media communications on international and some domestic issues. Develop working relationships with media and respond in a timely manner to media requests. Serve as spokesperson on international issues for PhRMA.
- Provide public affairs support for domestic issues such as domestic intellectual property, infectious diseases and trade, working with third party stakeholders to coordinate messaging and tactics. Draft media responses, talking points, social media content, op-eds, testimony and other communications materials.
- Develop plans for strategic public affairs campaigns on various issues in both international and domestic intellectual property. Collaborate across PhRMA departments, including International, Law, Federal, Alliance and Policy. Ensure plans are coordinated, aligned and balanced across departments and priorities.
- Develop and implement programs on issue areas such as global health and corporate social responsibility programs involving member companies and other stakeholders. Coordinate responses to media, state and federal inquiries about PhRMA industry’s contributions to corporate social responsibility worldwide.
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks a proactive, confident and action-oriented individual who is passionate about contributing to the health care challenges we face today. Key success factors for this role include a strong sense of team and collaborative focus. The preferred candidate will bring substantive health care communications expertise and be an organized, detail-oriented, self-starter with excellent writing skills and the ability to convey content in an audience-appropriate and compelling manner. Demonstrated consensus building, decision-making and interpersonal skills are essential. This is a highly visible, fast-paced position that is both internally and externally facing. Accordingly, the successful candidate should be adaptable, able to reprioritize and shift gears quickly, comfortable in a high-pressure environment and be politically savvy, diplomatic, responsive, and mature.
Professional Experience / Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or related field
- Knowledge of the innovative biopharmaceutical industry, in and outside the U.S.
- Experience in communicating across other cultures
- Ability to synthesize complex information for communication through various channels
- Experience in dealing with the media, ability to think on your feet and be diplomatic
- Service-oriented, able to work with many different groups and stakeholders
- Extensive experience in the use of social media, and the ability to leverage a variety of media tools
- Ability to inspire confidence within the organization and with external constituencies;
- Ability to travel approximately 15-20% of the time
- Master’s or other advanced degree/studies in business or international affairs
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than half a trillion dollars in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $58.8 billion in 2015 alone.
Connect with PhRMA
For information on how innovative medicines save lives, please visit:
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary, generous 401(k) employer contribution and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, health advocate service, back-up childcare, commuting and financial & estate planning benefits.
Certified as a CEO Cancer Gold Standard employer by the CEO Roundtable and having been named one of Washington’s Healthiest Employers, PhRMA provides a fitness subsidy, on-site fitness facility and fitness classes, an annual health fair and extensive employee wellness seminars, events and challenges.
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities such as tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, PhRMAcademy lunch and learn sessions, presentation skills, performance management and other management/professional develop programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
Send resume and salary requirement for consideration to: email@example.com
Job Posted: August 20, 2017