Senior Director, Public Policy
About the Job
The Senior Director, Public Policy is a member of the Government Affairs team within the Medical department and helps shape public policies affecting advanced molecular diagnostics. The position collaborates cross-functionally to develop and execute FMI’s public policy strategy, creates advocacy materials that communicate the value of comprehensive genomic profiling, drives think tank engagement, monitors and analyzes legislation and regulations, and represents FMI with third party stakeholders such as trade associations and coalitions. The position develops, organizes, manages, and communicates critical plans, initiatives, and strategies, while analyzing the potential impact of federal, state, or regulatory policies on FMI’s business. Working closely with others, the incumbent seeks to identify key policy issues, listen carefully to others’ views and opinions, and share the company’s perspective on those issues with external stakeholders.
• Develop and execute a public policy strategy that fosters innovation and advances patients’ access to comprehensive genomic profiling.
• Monitor, research, and analyze current and emerging public policy issues, and in doing so:
· Coordinate with the VP, Government Affairs to establish company policy positions,
· Develop proactive solutions that advance the Government Affairs’ priorities,
· Identify opportunities or risks in a timely manner, and
· Collaborate cross-functionally to ascertain supporting data or analysis.
• Create collateral and other resources to educate key stakeholders, including elected officials, regulators, academics, think tanks, industry groups, and patient and professional organizations. Such collateral includes, but is not limited to, policy briefs, position statements, comment letters, and talking points.
• Identify creative, new messaging opportunities to cultivate public policy champions.
• Drive FMI’s think tank engagement strategy on public policy priorities. Such a strategy includes the identification of internal partnership opportunities to elevate FMI experts.
• Represent FMI with key stakeholders such as trade associations, coalitions, think tanks, and advocacy organizations.
• Help build and manage coalitions by partnering with internal stakeholders, industry leaders, and advocacy organizations.
• Monitor and review trade association and coalition efforts to adopt policy positions and propose policy recommendations. This includes soliciting internal feedback to ensure that membership-driven organizations consider and incorporate FMI’s perspective.
• Develop memorandums, presentations, briefing materials, or issue briefs to educate internal stakeholders (e.g. Regulatory, Market Access) regarding a policy’s potential impact on FMI and patients.
• Prepare briefing materials for use at Congressional, Administrative, and trade association meetings.
• Provide briefings and policy updates to the CEO, Executive and Leadership Teams and other senior stakeholders.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 10+ years of experience within public policy, government affairs, or related industry
• Experience working with the United States Congress or a President’s Administration
• Juris Doctor Degree and/or Graduate-level education in Public Policy, Political Science, Business, or related discipline
• 12+ years of experience within public policy, government affairs, or related function
• 5+ years of experience within oncology, healthcare, diagnostics, biotechnology or similar industry
• Experience working at a federal agency, particularly within the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), or for a Member of the United States Congress
• In-depth understanding of healthcare, diagnostics, and biotechnology industry issues, including but not limited to: the Affordable Care Act; NGS NCD policy; tax; trade; patent; and, other healthcare or corporate issues that impact the diagnostics industry
• Extensive leadership experience and team-oriented approach
• Demonstrated ability to analyze and distill complex information into a concise, comprehensible narrative
• Experience advocating for complex policy positions, developing policy solutions, and building consensus among a range of stakeholders
• Demonstrated ability to work under tight deadlines with little supervision
• Self-motivated individual that excels in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
• Demonstrated track record of strong oral and written communication skills
• Understanding of HIPAA and the importance of patient data privacy
• Commitment to FMI values: patients, innovation, collaboration, and passion
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-26