Senior Director, Public Policy
Working at Enterprise means creating opportunity for low- and moderate income people through affordable housing in thriving communities. Enterprise offers career opportunities in our offices across the country with an exceptional benefits package. The Enterprise family of companies includes:
- Enterprise Community Partners
- Enterprise Community Investment
- Enterprise Community Development
- Enterprise Business Partners
- Bellwether Enterprise
- Enterprise Residential
Job Description Summary
Enterprise is looking for qualified candidates to join a diverse, inclusive team of policy advocates working at the federal, state, and local levels to generate new resources for housing construction and preservation.
The Senior Director, Public Policy leads Enterprise’s tax advocacy and develops, implements and manages effective strategies to influence and support public policy decisions primarily at the federal level regarding affordable housing and community development, including tax credits and appropriations. The Senior Director works with policymakers, national industry representatives, community development partners, the media and Enterprise offices across America to advance Enterprise’s public policy priorities While working to lead macro-level strategy for certain federal priorities and initiatives, they also must maintain a strong understanding of technical policy issues and carry out coalition management duties, advocacy efforts, and more duties as assigned. The Senior Director reports to the Vice President, Policy Advocacy. Duties will include but are not limited to the following:
- In collaboration with the rest of the policy team, support work to advance Enterprise’s public policy priorities for affordable housing, economic and community development, specifically issues involving federal tax credits (LIHTC, NMTC, Opportunity Zones), and other legislative and regulatory actions as needed.
- Build and maintain strong ongoing relationships with key Congressional staff (especially tax and budget committee staff), the Administration, and related federal agencies, as well as with key policy stakeholders and industry partners, to advance Enterprise’s tax and appropriations priorities.
- Coordinate and lead staff visits to educate Members of Congress on key issues.
- Serve in leadership positions and otherwise represent Enterprise within key coalitions to advance our Federal priorities, including the ACTION Campaign, co-led by Enterprise and the National Coalition of State Housing Agencies (http://rentalhousingaction.org).
- Ensure that federal legislation, regulations, and new proposals that impact Enterprise’s public policy, programmatic and financial products work are monitored and analyzed; lead internal and external responses as appropriate.
- Develop material for the federal and state/local policy teams as well other teams within Enterprise, including but not limited to: issue briefs, blog posts, op-eds, external letters or statements for the record, presentations, communications to the Board, quarterly reports, and policy priority documents.
- Work collaboratively with the rest of the policy team in a thoughtful and focused way to enhance its teamwork and effectiveness .
- Draft and review testimony, letters, legislative analyses and advocacy materials.
- Display flexibility while working with other Enterprise departments and initiatives such as, Enterprise Community Investment, Enterprise Housing Credit Investments and Enterprise Community Loan Fund.
- Supervise permanent staff and/or interns.
- Undergraduate degree with a minimum of 8 years of progressive experience in affordable housing, community development, advocacy and/or legislative analysis. Graduate degree highly desirable and may offset two years of required work experience.
- Direct experience with federal tax programs required, such as the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit or New Markets Tax Credit. Knowledge of public housing, the HUD HOME and CDBG Programs, and federal fair housing and civil rights requirements a plus. Tax experience may be offset if applicant has ten or more years’ experience with affordable housing grant programs.
- Previous local, state or federal policy experience, with heavy experience working in a bipartisan manner with Capitol Hill offices preferred.
- Coalition management and legislative advocacy experience.
- Previous management experience preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build and manage external relationships with key congressional offices, federal agency staff, and other external partners.
- Outstanding oral and written communications skills, including using social media to advance awareness and education.
- Policy research experience a plus.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and work in a fast-paced environment, often under stringent deadlines, with strong attention to detail.
- Experience with data analysis statistics, Graphic Map Systems (GIS), and other related skills a plus.
Location: This position is based in DC, but currently 100% telework due to Covid-19.
Creating Opportunity Through Affordable Housing in Diverse, Thriving Communities
As a proven and powerful national nonprofit, we bring together nationwide know-how, partners, policy leadership and investment to multiply the impact of local affordable housing development.
Our story began more than 35 years ago. To date, Enterprise has created nearly 585,000 homes, invested $43.6 billion and touched millions of lives. And there’s more work to be done.
Our vision is that one day, every person will have an affordable home in a vibrant community, filled with promise and the opportunity for a good life.
And our mission is to create opportunity for low- and moderate-income people through affordable housing in diverse, thriving communities.
Uniquely motivated to build strong communities so families can succeed, Enterprise is in this work for the long haul. We’re in it for good.
Why We Fight
Where we live matters: We make well-designed homes affordable and create communities with connections to opportunity so everyone can thrive.
Enterprise is the only housing organization in the U.S. with the expertise to multiply the impact for people and communities. We deliver the capital, develop the programs and advocate for the policies needed to create and preserve well-designed homes that people can afford in inclusive and connected communities.
Our talented staff bring agility and expertise in both the public and private sectors across a range of critical areas, and we are dedicated to improving and innovating housing solutions around the country.
We developed the national standards for greener, healthier communities, and we’re continuously researching and sharing key data and lessons learned with our partners so that affordable homes and resources are more effective – and families succeed.
Guided by exemplary board members – leaders in the public, business and nonprofit sectors – we are headquartered in the Mid-Atlantic and have offices in markets nationwide, from New York to Los Angeles, as well as local, state and national partnerships.
We may have similar goals in life, but not the same opportunities – and where you live affects the life you can have.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-26