DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead the public policy, government relations and advocacy functions of the organization.
- Work with Chief Communications Officer on the development and implementation of effective government relations strategies to advance Intrexon’s policy priorities through legislative and regulatory initiatives working with Congress, federal agencies and the White House.
- Provide strategic counsel to CEO, CCO and executive management team on policy and legislative issues.
- Pursue opportunities to engage external stakeholders and policy influencers to extend Intrexon’s reach and to advance its policy priorities by effectively positioning the Company as a leading voice in synthetic biology and the engineering of biological systems.
- Cultivate and maintain strategic relationships among key policy makers and government leaders and represent Intrexon and its network to major stakeholders, including congressional and administration staff, national non-profit organizations and business partners.
- Conduct briefings, meetings, forums and technical updates for legislators and regulators and their staffs on issues of concern to Intrexon.
- Represent Intrexon and its network at governmental and legislative forums, hearings, coalition meetings and similar initiatives.
- Identify, review and recommend contract lobbyists as needed. Assist contract lobbyists by identifying main priorities and objectives and evaluating their performance in attainment of objectives.
- Identify key elected officials and conduct political development activities, including site visits, permissible political contributions and other activities.
- Collaborate with corporate and finance operations to ensure compliance with state lobbying and political contribution laws and regulations.
- Willingness to travel.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Advanced degree in public health, health policy, political science, business, law or related discipline.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in government affairs, public policy or issue advocacy.
- Robust knowledge of the federal legislative process.
- Ability to prioritize various competing demands and to communicate effectively priorities to Intrexon leadership and other audiences.
- Experience working with contract lobbyists.
- Experience in policy analysis, development and advocacy, as well as strategic coalition-building and mobilization.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated persuasive advocacy and negotiation skills and excellent judgement.
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners to achieve results.
- Demonstrated management or supervisory experience.
DESIRED KEY COMPETENCIES:
- Ability to understand and execute on the company’s mission and values.
- Demonstrated ability to build and foster long-term relationships.
- Maintain a high degree of ethical standard and trustworthiness.
- Capable of fostering change in an organization.
- Deals with conflict in a direct, positive manner.
- Ability to think and adapt to a rapidly changing environment and demands.
- Able to reach rational conclusions through complex processing of information.
- Fosters innovation through creative solutions.
- Effective organization and implementation of group projects.
- Maintain a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Energized by accomplishments and excellence in the workplace.
- Capable of high performance in independent work as well as in team setting.
Job Posted: September 8, 2017