Senior Director, Public Policy or Medicare Policy
Reporting to the Managing Director of Global Policy, the Government Affairs Senior Principal, Public Policy for Medicare will position Cigna as a thought leader on Medicare policy issues under debate and/or emerging and ensure our business solutions and needs are accurately represented. In addition, this position will ensure our overall policy solutions drive affordability, sustainability and access for our members and seniors at large. This individual will be a key contributor to Cigna’s Government Affairs (GA) team driving pragmatic positioning on high priority and high visibility issues in the Medicare space. The position requires candidates to be able to:
· Analyze, define and communicate critical Medicare policy issues in legislative or regulatory environments; identify or predict likely legislative or regulatory outcomes.
· Serve as GA policy expert on key Medicare issues including Medicare Advantage, Part D, Medicare Supplement, dual-eligible beneficiaries, Medicare payment and coverage, and Medicare alternative payment models, shared savings programs, and innovations.
· Provide high level executive briefing documents and support
· Engage with external policymaking and regulatory bodies, including Congress, CMS, HHS, CBO, OMB, and others.
· Provide proactive strategic counsel to senior business leadership anticipating legislative and regulatory trends and translating those into actionable business and legislative or regulatory solutions/strategy.
· Partner with business leadership to identify business risks and opportunities in external policy developments.
· Identify assets Cigna/ESI have to augment public policy positions such as: data; resources; subject matter experts; and corporate “thought leaders.”
· Assure philosophical consistency in policy approaches across the enterprise.
· Develop responses to proposed rules/laws, including, as strategically appropriate, regulatory and/or legislative alternatives.
· Provide Cigna Medicare business and client support.
· Participate as an integral part of the GA team, including collaboration with both the Advocacy and Public Policy teams.
· PUBLIC POLICY POSITION DEVELOPMENT: Legislative and regulatory analysis and follow-through in presenting Cigna’s positions on proposed legislation, regulations, and policy proposals on Medicare Advantage, Part D, dual-eligible beneficiaries, Medicare Supplement and other relevant Medicare payment issues to external stakeholders including Congress, the Administration and regulators. Understanding of statutes, regulations, government processes, and key health policy issues in order to develop internal public policy positions with Legal Department, subject matter experts (SMEs) and business leaders. Positions are thoughtful and reflective of strategic business positions. Applicant must be able to respond to federal requests for comment from the enterprise on a variety of Medicare issues, i.e., notices of proposed rulemaking; legislative analyses.
· LEADERSHIP IN BUSINESS ALIGNMENT: Excellent relationship and communication with the business segment on Medicare portfolio issues, understanding strategies to build the business, challenges and objectives, and aligning public policy position development with business needs. This position requires the selected applicant to convene and collaborate across business functions on legislative and regulatory issues and review intelligence and issues from the external environment. Leadership in working through Medicare issues, assessing strategic options individually or with the Policy/GA Department prior to moving to SMEs, business partners or issue teams and positioning the variable options to the business in a manageable, organized, cohesive manner. Engagement with affected Cigna business teams on GA activities affecting the business and providing presentations on federal GA issues as required.
· STRATEGIC PLAN/WORKPLAN INITIATIVE AND MANAGEMENT: Execution on public policy priorities contained in the GA Strategic Plan on Medicare portfolio issues. This includes continued establishment of integrated process and a strategically aligned workplan that has agreed public policy priorities with the business with a focus on working with Federal, State Advocacy and Policy to align on the issues.
· ENGAGEMENT WITH STAKEHOLDERS AND ALLIANCE PARTNERS: Excel at thoughtful, respectful engagement with external priority high-level stakeholders, industry groups and alliance partners with the goal of influencing their positioning on Medicare proposals in order to align with Cigna-driven positions. In addition, engaging, developing and staffing senior executives for key external relationships and writing advance materials that have been reviewed by GA leadership. AHIP will be a main partner for this position.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
· Cigna corporate and business unit leaders – Communicate on pending activities, discuss strategies and priorities to support business activities.
· Federal regulators, legislators and staffs – Advance enterprise public policy positions and priorities.
· Trade groups, coalitions and competitor companies – Coordinate and discuss GA activities, determine acceptable policy positions and strategies.
· Retained counsel – Coordinate and discuss GA activities with federal consultants and advisors.
· Federal and State Government Affairs – Coordinate and discuss public policy and advocacy issues and strategies to support the enterprise.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 10 years of policy setting experience in the health care field, with significant Medicare experience. The candidate should have a strong and successful record of being a leader in policy setting environments such as on a relevant committee in Congress, in an Administration and/or in a relevant Agency or in-house with a corporation or trade association, or relevant experience, involving interpreting and responding to regulatory and legislative proposals, in an organization offering Medicare Advantage and Part D plans. They will enjoy collaborating, be highly energetic, extremely strategic and innovative and have a track record of creating actionable plans and strategies.
Specific qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree is required; a JD, MBA or Master’s degree in Public Health, Health Policy or Public Administration and/or related work experience preferred.
- Executive presence and proven ability to instill confidence in senior management and those outside the company.
- Ability to persuasively communicate complex concepts and programs at the highest levels of government and business.
- Strong ability to analyze, understand and translate complex issues across business lines and corporate concerns and understand how to communicate such issues to a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience working in highly regulated industry; a deep appreciation for the impact of policy outcomes on business results.
- Demonstrated experience in development and implementation of public policy function, including actionable strategies.
- Proven, effective oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a variety of Cigna management, field associates, retained counsel, legislators, regulators.
- Strong team player with the ability to both collaborate and work independently, as required.
- Keen judgment and ability to manage competing priorities.
- Creativity, flexibility and demonstrated excellent organizational skills.
- Strong client-service orientation; a bias for action and strong sense of urgency.
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to improving the health, well-being and peace of mind of those we serve. We offer an integrated suite of health services through Cigna, Express Scripts, and our affiliates including medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products. Together, with our 74,000 employees worldwide, we aspire to transform health services, making them more affordable and accessible to millions. Through our unmatched expertise, bold action, fresh ideas and an unwavering commitment to patient-centered care, we are a force of health services innovation.
When you work with Cigna, you’ll enjoy meaningful career experiences that enrich people’s lives while working together to make the world a healthier place. What difference will you make? To see our culture in action, search #TeamCigna on Instagram.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, age, disability, sex, childbirth (including pregnancy) or related medical conditions including but not limited to lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital or familial status, genetic information, status with regard to public assistance, citizenship status or any other characteristic protected by applicable equal employment opportunity laws.
If you require an accommodation based on your physical or mental disability please email: SeeYourself@cigna.com. Do not email SeeYourself@cigna.com for an update on your application or to provide your resume as you will not receive a response.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-22