Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Director, Public Relations
Want to work for a great Organization?
The American Bankers Association is the banking industry’s champion. Joining ABA makes you part of a team that: • has Extraordinary People – ABA experts are the “go to” sources for bankers, policy makers and the media for credible information and insights for the banking industry. • has Unmatched Scope and Scale – ABA’s unparalleled information and services keep members current, knowledgeable and prepared. • is Impact-Driven – ABA has a proven record of bringing about positive change for our members and the industry. We take action and achieve results. Plus competitive pay, an outstanding benefits package, a convenient DC location, a professional collegial work environment and an opportunity to work on issues of national significance equals a winning combination!
Develop and execute ABA’s public relations strategy for government relations, legislative and regulatory issues. Manage all media relations efforts in the government relations space and proactively drive the Public Relations strategy, executing tactics related to the banking and financial services industry.
• Serve as an on-the-record spokesperson with national media on government relations priority issues including legislation, regulatory proposals and other policy issues.
• Work closely with senior ABA staff to develop and communicate ABA messages on government relations issues to the media.
• Engage with national and local media outlets to elevate and amplify ABA messaging on critical legislative and regulatory issues.
• Enhance relationships with financial services reporters and optimize ABA’s media mentions and placements.
• Serve as primary ABA contact for external industry groups/joint trades communications strategy on government relations issues as needed.
• Develop and drive execution of PR strategy on behalf of internal clients.
• Offer strategy and PR support to ABA’s BankPac committee and Voter Education Fund.
• Develop and oversee strategy execution of promoting ABA’s Washington Summit, and other events as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, political science or related degree preferred or commensurate experience.
• At least seven years of relevant experience in public relations, journalism, banking, government or trade associations.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills required; ability to quickly condense complex banking issues into easily digestible and compelling narrative.
• Ability to build and cultivate relationships with financial services reporters
• Demonstrable experience driving impact focused media placements.
• Ability to travel (<20%)
American Bankers Association (ABA) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, protected Veteran status, personal appearance, political affiliation, family responsibilities, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
ABA encourages and celebrates diversity so if you are motivated, hardworking and want to make a difference, come as you are!
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-06-19