Senior Director, Regulatory Affairs
CPower is a dynamic energy management company with a national footprint in multiple markets across the country based in Baltimore, MD. We create optimized energy management strategies that allow businesses to streamline their energy usage, generate revenues and offset costs through energy and capacity markets participation, and ultimately help our clients achieve their sustainability, resiliency, and financial goals. CPower has experienced significant growth since 2014 through the combination of organic development and acquisitions and are uniquely positioned to leverage our status as an industry leader to accelerate our growth via new and differentiated offerings and the expansion into new markets. Currently, CPower operates in all our nation’s open energy markets, throughout regulated utilities, and is a leading provider of demand response and related programs. We never stop working to ensure our customers get the maximized results they deserve. We are entering into our sixth year, but we have a rich history in the demand response industry going back 30 years.
We are looking for a Senior Director, Regulatory Affairs in the New England area that will continue the thriving demand response programs and help CPower maintain its role as a leader in the energy management industry.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
New England Regulatory Affairs
- Leads CPower’s regulatory efforts in the New England region..
- Advocates for policies and regulations that promote the interests of CPower. Develops policies and strategies for gaining approval by regulators including ISONE, NEPOOL and State regulators and legislators. The key focus is on regulations and market rules that enable demand response and distributed energy resources at wholesale and retail levels. Rules that support full utilization of customer resources via demand response will enhance profitability.
- Coordinates with Sales, Legal, Customer Fulfillment/Operations, Pricing and Marketing to ensure all capabilities are developed and in place to sell and deliver CPower’s DR and DER products (such as development of contract, creation of process flow materials and development of marketing collateral).
- Coordinates with regulatory and compliance functions to monitor ongoing regulatory and legal developments impacting CPower. Support initiatives to ensure ongoing compliance with market rules and regulations.
- Informs management and operations of regulatory developments. Assess business threats and opportunities. Prepare summaries of activity for management review. Seek management approval for recommended strategies.
- Participates in (assumes leadership roles where possible) industry associations/trade groups that seek to advance DR/DER opportunities within the New England region. Contribute to development of comments and positions on behalf of CPower in regulatory proceedings. Coordinates positions with affiliated companies.
New England Government Affairs
- Manages state policy initiatives related to CPower’s business interests.
- Advocates for development of market opportunities for the company through advocacy with state commissions, legislatures, and utilities. Leverage industry associations to amplify advocacy.
- Advocates for state regulations in the New England region that advance CPower interests.
New England Product Support
- Provides input on capacity auction bidding strategy for CPower’s portfolios for future years.
- Advises on development of compliance programs.
- Assists in the development of the business case for new products offered within New England.
- Evaluates CPower’s position relative to competition including products, strengths, and weaknesses.
- Supports the development and implementation of internal risk management and mitigation strategies.
- Supports DR/DER presentations to CPower’s customers. Attends customer meetings as required.
- Supports the evaluation and development of new markets for CPower.
- Advocates for DR/DER with RTOs, regulators, and other stakeholders. Identify other like-minded entities and coordinate activity to advance common interests. Make presentations supporting CPower’s goals.
- Manages relationships with consultants for regulatory and market research updates and validation.
- Bachelor’s degree (engineering, science, or management field preferred but not required)
- Senior Director – A minimum 10 years’ experience in energy or related industries.
- Ability to understand power pool rules and coordinate a technical product involving internal departments.
- Ability to understand capacity auction rules and support development of bidding strategies.
- Experience working with external stakeholders to advance business interests.
Unique opportunity to work at a successful, growing company with a strong entrepreneurial spirit. We focus heavily on developing our employees and linking successes to our core values. CPower offers a great benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 401K, vacation, etc. CPower’s leadership prides itself on maintaining a rewarding culture, and always striving to offer a great team-member experience.
CPower is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. We believe that diversity and inclusion among our team members is critical to our success as a company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
Job posted: 2020-11-03