Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Director, Regulatory Strategy, Cell & Gene: Type 1 Diabetes
The Senior Director, Regulatory Strategy, Cell and Gene Therapies is a regulatory leader with expert technical and tactical experience in regulatory strategy for the assigned global position and will be responsible for overseeing the development and implementation of advanced global regulatory strategies for development programs (1) in emerging disease areas, (2) for additional development of registered Vertex medicines, and/or (3) for the support of Vertex marketed products. This incumbent will play a major role in shaping cohesive regulatory strategy across the assigned programs and ensuring effective integration of broad regulatory ideas/tactics supporting franchise strategy. This role will understand and translate regulatory, scientific, operational and business knowledge into effective implementation plans and strategy.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads the development of regulatory strategy for multiple and/or complex projects in development (from first-in-human to post marketing application stage) outlined in Global Regulatory Strategy Documents including for regulatory submission documents and Health Authority communications
- Represents GRA on core development strategic teams, project teams, and collaborate with regional leaders and teams to ensure unified regulatory input into clinical programs and commercial strategy
- Addresses complex issues, providing advanced regulatory solutions and guidance to cross-functional teams and align communication to and from cross-functional teams and GRA leadership. Counsels and advises senior management on status of global Regulatory Affairs strategies and tactics, procedures and practices
- Leads the development and management of project plans and timelines and assigns and manages resources effectively to ensure all projects are appropriately prioritized and key goals are met on time
- Works to influence regulatory environment through active participation in conferences and industry/agency regulatory meeting, committees and trade associations. Remains up to date on changing regulations, and regulatory policy and intelligence including competitive issues that influence regulatory strategy.
- Leads continuous improvement efforts on existing department processes and strategies, providing recommendations in area of expertise
- Leads GRA functional team(s) including participating in the skill development, coaching, and performance feedback for members of the GRA functional teams
- As a people manager within the organization, may have financial accountabilities and human resource responsibilities for assigned staff.
Knowledge and Skills:
- A business-minded leader, capable of strategic thinking and proposing innovative solutions to regulatory problems
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills with ability to impact and influence the decisions of a team, communicates with all levels within the company and act as liaison / representative both internally and externally and communicates effectively in verbal presentations and in writing regulatory strategy plans and submission documents
- Able to provide regulatory leadership on a cross-functional team and work effectively in a matrix environment
- Demonstrated technical expertise in regulatory affairs science including advanced knowledge of regulatory frameworks and external environments. Expert knowledge of global/regional/local regulatory legislation, laws, procedure and guidance for pharmaceutical development of medicines for human use, with demonstrated knowledge of the research and development, preclinical and clinical requirements related to drug development, registration, and maintenance of human pharmaceuticals
- Advanced proficiency in analyzing and interpreting data, protocols, safety reporting, labeling and other activities related to the phases of drug development for assigned products.
- Demonstrated expertise in creating and assessing proposals to regulatory authorities on regulatory paths and clinical plans, and in leading productive health authority interactions, including well organized preparation of cross functional teams.
- Demonstrated expertise in analyzing the adequacy of proposed regulatory pathways and strategies and guiding development teams with recommendations for changes/refinements based on ongoing regulatory outcomes throughout development.
- Ability to articulate the organization’s strategic vision and core values, and successfully contribute to improving the quality of internal regulatory policies, programs and initiatives.
- A strong leader who demonstrates sensitivity and understanding of cultural considerations, embraces diversity, and continuously develops staff by providing feedback, coaching, guidance and mentoring.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, or other related discipline
- Typically requires 12 years of relevant pharmaceutical or biotech industry experience within regulatory affairs and 5 years of supervisory/management experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience
We’re enabling flexibility and choice between individuals and their managers to maintain our strong culture of collaboration and ensure a daily vibrancy within our sites globally. In this Hybrid- or On-Site-Eligible role, you can choose to work:
1. Hybrid and work remotely up to two days per week on regularly scheduled days; or select
2. On-Site work 5 days per week with ad hoc flexibility.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Please note that Vertex requires COVID-19 vaccination for all employees working in the U.S. as a condition of employment at Vertex, subject to medical, religious or other accommodations or exemptions required by law. We believe this requirement is vital to keeping everyone at Vertex and in our communities safe. This requirement applies to both existing and new employees who may at any time work on-site at a Vertex facility or visit another location on behalf of Vertex (e.g., conferences, customer visits, etc.), including all remote employees. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-08-28