Senior Director/Senior Counsel
Want to work for a great Organization? The American Bankers Association is the banking industry’s champion. Joining ABA makes you part of a team that: • has Extraordinary People – ABA experts are the “go to” sources for bankers, policy makers and the media for credible information and insights for the banking industry. • has Unmatched Scope and Scale – ABA’s unparalleled information and services keep members current, knowledgeable and prepared. • is Impact-Driven – ABA has a proven record of bringing about positive change for our members and the industry. We take action and achieve results. Plus competitive pay, an outstanding benefits package, a convenient DC location, a professional collegial work environment and an opportunity to work on issues of national significance equals a winning combination!
ABA is seeking a Senior Director/Senior Counsel who will work with a team of professionals championing the banking industry by supporting bankers in their advocacy efforts on important policy issues.
The incumbent will:
· Be responsible for leading the development of ABA policy regarding regulatory issues relevant to banks.
· Collaborate and coordinate advocacy initiatives across the Prudential Regulation and Asset Management Group, and across ABA, to further ABA strategic goals.
· On assigned topic areas, act as a representative of the banking industry to regulators and policy makers in the various agencies and branches of government including relevant international bodies.
The incumbent will work on issues affecting core banking such as safety and soundness regulation, bank powers, the business of banking, and the organization of the regulatory agencies. As needed and as available, the incumbent will work on other assignments relevant to the Prudential Regulation and Asset Management Group. This position requires an understanding of current bank practices and regulations. Incumbent must have excellent writing and analytical skills and be able to speak clearly and convincingly about ABA policy positions and the effect of various laws and regulations on bank and bank holding company activities. Incumbent should have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to handle effectively multiple priorities and to organize workload and meet deadlines. Incumbent should have the ability to work as a member of a team and independently, as circumstance dictate.
The incumbent in the position will be expected to summarize complex regulatory initiatives, help formulate the ABA’s policy on various issues, and act as a liaison between the banking industry and the bank regulators on matters within their responsibilities.
· Use his/her initiative to identify emerging issues that warrant ABA advocacy and work collaboratively association-wide on holistic advocacy campaigns. This can include – together with colleagues from legislative affairs, communications, grassroots and the office of strategic engagement – raising awareness among membership, drafting comment letters, bulletins, speeches, other written and oral communications.
· Develop and maintain banker peer/working groups on relevant topic areas.
· Represent the industry before the banking regulators, CFTC, SEC, other trade associations, and applicable decision makers in Congress.
· Monitor regulatory and legislative developments in assigned areas.
· Assist in the preparation of banker education, training and development programs, and advise ABA regarding products or services the ABA can provide to members.
· Provide guidance on an individual basis to bankers in response to questions concerning the implementation of regulations. (Please note ABA does not give legal advice)
A minimum six to eight years of relevant experience.
· 4-year degree.
· An understanding of current bank practices and regulations.
· Excellent writing and analytical skills.
· The ability to speak clearly and convincingly.
· Excellent interpersonal skills.
· The ability to handle effectively multiple priorities and to organize workload and meet deadlines.
· Bank, banking regulator, banking consultant or law firm experience.
· Familiarity with the National Bank Act, Federal Deposit Insurance Act, the Federal Reserve Act, the Bank Holding Company Act, the Home Owners Loan Act and key amending statutes such as the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, the Dodd-Frank Act, and Economic Growth Act (s.2155).
· Advanced degree.
Job posted: 2021-04-23