Senior Director, State Government Affairs (26142)
Some opportunities happen only once in a lifetime – like a job where you have the chance to change lives. At Alexion, people living with rare and devastating diseases are our Guiding Star. We are driven to continuously innovate and create meaningful value in all we do to help patients and families fully live their best lives. We value the uniqueness and diversity of our employees and recognize that nurturing the diverse perspectives and strengths of our people translates into innovative breakthroughs for patients.
Reporting to the Head of Office, the Sr. Director, State Government Affairs will play an integral role in developing and implementing coordinating state government affairs strategies, initiatives and engagement around issues that impact rare disease and the biopharmaceutical industry. This position is field based but will require frequent travel to Washington DC.
- Leads the State Government Affairs Department. Influences and actively leads the development of state government legislation and regulations affecting Alexion’s business interests in order to provide a favorable business and reimbursement environment (e.g., Medicaid budgeting and reimbursement, other relevant health care issues, as well as issues affecting Alexion’s tax, facility and research interests).
- Develops both a proactive and reactive legislative agenda to create new policy frameworks to support our current product portfolio as well as pipeline products. Advances Alexion’s commercial success by preventing enactment of new state laws that could negatively impact our business.
- Serves as an “early warning system” to stakeholders inside the company on important state policy trends. Collaborates with the internal government affairs policy staff to identify emerging issues and determine how to advance Alexion’s legislative and policy interests in the states. Works collaboratively with others in the PPGA department to convert company policy positions into timely and effective advocacy strategies that shape policy outcomes and advance Alexion’s legislative and policy interests in the states.
- Ensures the team analyzes the state policy landscape to ensure that Alexion is aware and in front of emerging policy issues to enable the company to take advantage of opportunities and mitigate possible threats that could impact business decisions.
- Communicates approved company positions both internally and externally. Cultivates and maintains relationships with policy makers and their staff to maximize opportunities to advance policy initiatives that are favorable to Alexion; This includes educating state policy makers about Alexion’s business and patients in order to influence decisions impacting Alexion and patient access to our products.
- Serves as the point of contact between the company and key state agencies, quasi-governmental organizations, and other policy groups to advance state policies that support the company’s business objectives.
- Establishes alliances with patient associations or other groups as appropriate to further Alexion’s state legislative and regulatory interests. Cultivates and maintains relationships with external partners, including regional trade associations and coalitions to advance Alexion’s policy positions and to support gathering of early intelligence and information on emerging policy issues. Serves as the company’s lead representative for federal/state issue and actively participates on the Trade Association workgroups, calls and meetings.
- A minimum of 10 years of management experience with exceptional leadership skills with an In-depth background in the analysis of state government processes, laws, and regulations. Experience building successful, collaborative teams.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to convey ideas and information surrounding these elements to diverse audiences. She/he must understand both the formal and informal pieces of the policy development process and understand which levers the most effective means are to shape policy.
- Strong relationship management and interpersonal skills are essential, as a Senior Director will engage with a wide array of internal and external stakeholders on a variety of complex topics and must be able to solicit information, persuade others, and shape outcomes. Ability to work across internal business teams and build a network of internal stakeholders.
- 8-10 years government policy experience in the biopharmaceutical industry or related industries
- Ability to perform a cross-cutting role that interacts with numerous business areas such as market access and reimbursement, legal, tax, patient advocacy, commercial, and compliance. She/he must be able to work effectively with a wide range of internal stakeholders to effectively represent Alexion’s interests before state governments.
- Ability to provide internal stakeholders with timely, accurate and comprehensive information in order to take advantage of opportunities, mitigate threats, and promote business interests at the state level. She/he must provide concise, comprehensive written and verbal updates to the PPGA team and affected Alexion business units. She/he will communicate both reactive and proactive legislative and advocacy strategies to advance Alexion policy objectives with state policy makers as appropriate. She/he must also be able to use experience and judgment in representing Alexion’s interests in a timely and proactive manner to ensure effective advocacy and engagement that can advance the Alexion policy agenda.
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree, e.g. PhD/JD/MBA preferred.
- Travel in the US up to 25-30%
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on serving patients and families affected by rare diseases and devastating conditions through the discovery, development and commercialization of life-changing medicines. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, Alexion has offices around the globe and serves patients in more than 50 countries. Further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com.
Alexion is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We are committed to fostering a culture of belonging where every single person can belong because of their uniqueness. The Company will not make decisions about employment, training, compensation, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment based on race, color, religion, creed or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, marital status, parental status, pregnancy, (including childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), parental status (including adoption or surrogacy), military status, protected veteran status, disability, medical condition, gender identity or expression, genetic information, mental illness or other characteristics protected by law. Alexion provides reasonable accommodations to meet the needs of candidates and employees. To begin an interactive dialogue with Alexion regarding an accommodation, please contact accommodations@Alexion.com. Alexion participates in E-Verify.
As a leading employer in our industry, Alexion offers a highly competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more.
AstraZeneca completed its acquisition of Alexion, marking the creation of Alexion, AstraZeneca Rare Disease. If you’re interested in career opportunities with AstraZeneca, click here.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-11-07