Senior Director, State Government Engagement
Visa USA is a Visa company. Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
The Senior Director, State Government Engagement, is responsible for managing state and local legislative and regulatory issues in the State of California and the Western half of the United States. This job will be based in San Francisco and report to Visa’s Senior Director, Head of State Government Engagement. The successful candidate will help shape the company’s external engagement with third party organizations, policymakers, and influencers in support of the Company’s policy agenda. They will also work with Visa’s North America business leadership to drive our community engagement with elected officials, third party groups and other external stakeholders. The position requires a deep understanding of state legislative and political affairs. Preferably, the candidate will have both multi-state government relations experience, as well as a background in the financial services, payments, or technology industries.
As a vital member of Visa’s Global Government Engagement team, the Senior Director will work to achieve favorable legislative and regulatory outcomes in support of profitable business growth and fostering business opportunities across the United States. This person will work with cross-divisional internal teams to drive Visa’s advocacy efforts at the state and local level, with a particular emphasis on the State of California and the Bay Area. The candidate should likewise have strong collaboration skills – and be able to work with internal team members to ensure seamless coordination in policy outreach across parties, organizations, and throughout the United States.
The ideal candidate is a skilled government relations and communications professional. They will represent Visa at political and industry functions and be responsible for building strategic and long-term relationships with state legislators, local officials, and state executive branch officials and their staff. They will regularly engage with third-party policy groups, trade associations, and political organizations as well as manage consultants in support of Visa’s government relations agenda. This position also includes significant travel commitments as part of its coverage of state legislative sessions, once travel resumes following the pandemic.
In addition, the position will be responsible for monitoring and tracking proposed legislation to determine possible effects relative to Visa’s priorities; planning and coordinating meetings between Visa executives and elected officials to discuss legislative issues; and preparing briefing documents and collateral materials to support Visa’s public policy engagement, among other responsibilities.
- 12 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree; 10 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD); or a minimum of 5 years of work experience with a PhD
• Bachelors required, advanced degree preferred
• At least 12 years of substantive experience in government relations, legislative affairs and advocacy as well as substantive, multi-state government relations, and financial services or technology background.
• Currently located in the Bay Area, or open to relocation there.
• Strong integrity, personal character and commitment to ethical conduct, as well as a deep understanding of state lobbying and ethics compliance.
• Proven experience developing and maintaining strategic relationships with legislative and executive branch officials as well as working with the local community.
• Ability to develop and execute strategic plans to advance policy objectives.
• Extensive working knowledge and experience with state legislative protocols and processes is essential.
• In-depth understanding of the legislative and regulatory processes and experience in analyzing complex legislation, regulation, and business planning documents is required.
• Skilled at drafting briefing documents, correspondence, presentations, and other written communications in support of Visa’s Government Engagement strategy and deliverables.
• Candidate must possess superior oral and written communication skills.
• Must be goal driven, able to function independently and meet deadlines.
• Exercise good judgment in setting priorities and interacting with internal and external stakeholders.
• Strong collaborator, with the ability to work in partnership internally and with cross functional teams to achieve shared objectives.
• Self-starter with proven ability to achieve results.
• Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office and Teams (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) and SharePoint and demonstrated strength in developing complex PowerPoint presentations.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours
This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 0-20% of the time, when safe to do so.
No Sponsorship or Relocation is available for this position.
Job posted: 2020-12-29