Senior Director, Strategic Communications
Why us, why now?
As a Senior Director on the AAMC’s Communications team, you will lead strategic communications for the association. In this role, you will lead the AAMC’s efforts to enhance public and policymaker understanding of and support for the nation’s medical schools and teaching hospitals through media and public relations, advocacy communications, and integrated communications campaigns.
How will you make an impact?
- Provide strategic leadership for AAMC Strategic Communications’ three major functions:
- Public relations and member communications (media relations counsel and outreach, crisis communications, PR and member communications plans);
- Public affairs (public opinion research, advocacy communications campaigns, issue advertising and materials development; AAMC’s digital grassroots community);
- AAMC News (the association’s award-winning, online news platform about medical schools and teaching hospitals).
- Develop and implement crisis communications responses on emerging PR, advocacy and other external issues.
- Develop messages for, and provide communications advice and counsel to association leadership and staff on key public relations and advocacy issues.
- Work collaboratively with staff in Communications, Governmental Relations, and AAMC mission areas.
- Develop and direct strategies to enhance AAMC visibility in the media and as a thought leader in health care, higher education, and medical research.
- Direct and manage activities of the Strategic Communications work unit, including employee engagement, finance and budgeting.
- Direct the association’s public and congressional opinion research efforts in conjunction with the AAMC’s external consultant.
- Participate in, and lead as appropriate, communications campaigns with partner organizations.
- Provide programming support and counsel to the Group on Institutional Advancement.
- Direct and supervise efforts and budgets of consultants and vendors.
- Provide communications support as needed to Chief Communications Officer on various projects.
- Serve as a member of the AAMC Communications Leadership Team, reporting to the Chief Communications and Marketing Officer
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-09-09