Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Director Strategic Relations and Campaigns
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us achieve our mission.
Do you want to work in a company that is transforming the world? Microsoft’s Corporate, External and Legal Affairs Department (CELA) has an immediate opening for an experienced government relations and corporate affairs Senior Director to join our Competition and Market Regulation Group.
The Senior Director Strategic Relations and Campaigns will lead large-scale global campaigns and engage with policymakers, regulators, trade groups, academics, and others to consider the role of technology to enable greater economic opportunity in the face of our changing economy.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Policy, Public Administration, or related field AND 4+ years experience in government affairs, corporate affairs, public policy, or government.
- OR 6+ years experience in government affairs, corporate affairs, public policy, or government.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- 5+ years experience in developing and managing strategic relationships and campaigns to advocate for public/technology policy priorities.
Government Affairs IC5 – The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $124,800 – $242,600 per year. There is a different range applicable to specific work locations, within the San Francisco Bay area and New York City metropolitan area, and the base pay range for this role in those locations is USD $159,000 – $264,000 per year.
Certain roles may be eligible for benefits and other compensation. Find additional benefits and pay information here: https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/us-corporate-pay
- Leads Competition and Market Regulation-related campaigns and engagement with internal stakeholders on priority issues and programs.
- Contributes to, and develops, Microsoft’s competition policy agenda and/or advocacy strategies for top priorities; partners with policy experts to advocate for and manage policy issues.
- Responds to key strategic issues and recommends actions by prioritizing, ensuring alignment with stakeholder positions, leveraging specialists, or escalating matters.
- Develops strategies for global regulatory and/or legislative initiatives and assesses their impact on Microsoft goals and objectives; delivers materials (e.g., strategy, policy briefings, other documentation) to internal stakeholders.
- Manages engagement and programs in rapidly changing and ambiguous political, policy, and industry environments.
- Excels in project management and excels at managing teams across geographies and functions.
Subject Matter Expertise and Influence
- Develops and implements strategies for leveraging partnerships with external partners and key influencers to advance Microsoft’s public policy agenda around the world.
- Develops and establishes a network, gathers and analyzes external/internal data and relationship interactions, and shares internal and external insights in support of Microsoft’s and customers’ business objectives.
- Partners with local teams to provide counseling on public policy and/or geo-political or cultural topics to business units related to specific product development or business plans.
- Develops and/or recommends highly creative solutions for advancing Microsoft’s policy and/or political agenda, while managing risks and consequences.
- Participates in internal/external events; supports executive engagement and participation in international events.
- Directs political strategies, provides strategic vision, and develops communication frameworks and/or messaging in partnership with the Communications team for Microsoft by implementing strategies across diverse stakeholders.
- Represents Microsoft and communicates our perspectives with key partners and in industry groups.
- Builds and maintains a network with governmental and non-governmental stakeholders in partnership with government affairs colleagues (e.g., peer and industry organizations, think tanks, academics, businesses, community leaders); aligns interests and builds strategic relationships that help establish Microsoft as a trusted advisor to key stakeholders in the region.
- Serves as a strategic partner to key business leads by supporting sales and market opportunities, building Microsoft’s reputation as a globally trusted provider of technology, and assisting in navigating, minimizing, or removing roadblocks in order to drive business results.
Internal Collaboration and Campaign Management
- Manages and acts as a subject matter expert for large, critical projects, and provides direction to teammates or a cross-functional project team, or as a project lead across country and team lines.
- Resolves complex issues and gains alignment across teams to enable the achievement of shared business objectives; facilitates and coordinates internal business operations to raise awareness and facilitate communication and coordination of effort.
- Collaborates with, and influences, senior-level internal stakeholders and subject matter experts within and outside of the Competition and Market Regulation team to ensure a mutual understanding and alignment of objectives, priorities, and resources.
- Enables effective use of external resources to advance priorities.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-09-08