Senior Director – Tax Policy, Global Government Engagement
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network – enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
The Senior Director – Tax Policy, Global Government Engagement, will play a leading role developing and executing public policy and advocacy strategies that protect and improve Visa’s overall tax position in jurisdictions around the world. They will collaborate with colleagues across the government engagement, legal/regulatory and global tax functions to help advance Visa’s tax policy priorities before foreign governments and international organizations. In particular, they will be a subject matter expert and go-to resource for colleagues in market and global headquarters, and guide the work of outside consultants and industry associations, on global tax policy, including base erosion and profit shifting (BEPS), foreign income and value-added taxes, and digital services taxes. The position will report to the Senior Director, Global Government Engagement, responsible for trade and international economic policy.
Visa’s Global Government Engagement team shapes the policy and regulatory environment to defend and grow our business, advancing Visa’s mission. We are trusted advisors to governments, clients, and partners. We strive to build the most innovative, reliable and secure global payments ecosystem – one that enables everyone to participate fully in the digital economy, delivering economic growth and positive social outcomes. We are diverse and inclusive – committed to being a best in class team of government relations, policy, and stakeholder engagement professionals.
· Coordinate, develop and execute strategies that advance Visa’s public policy and advocacy priorities related to tax policy, with a particular focus on international markets.
· Monitor and track global tax policies, trends and negotiations – including proposals, regulations and initiatives developed by national authorities and/or under international organizations (such as the OECD) – to determine possible effects on Visa’s business and priorities and those of its clients. This remit includes traditional direct and indirect taxes as well as emerging forms of taxation directed at the digital economy (e.g., digital services taxes).
· Be a highly-skilled tax policy professional, drawing on extensive experience in corporate cross-border tax issues to advise executives on the implications of global tax policies and negotiations for Visa, its clients and the global payments industry.
· Devise and lead advocacy before the U.S. and foreign governments, and international organizations, on specific international tax matters.
· Combine rigorous analytical skill in tax policy with strong communication skills to easily translate complex concepts between tax practitioners to policymakers with varied levels of sophistication.
· Demonstrate a deep understanding of the financial services and technology sectors, with particular knowledge of the payments industry a plus.
· Help shape the company’s strategies and external engagement with third-party organizations, policymakers, and influencers in support of the company’s tax policy agenda.
· Work closely and effectively with colleagues from government engagement, legal/regulatory and global tax functions to provide support and coordination on Visa’s tax priorities.
· Plan and coordinate tax-related meetings between Visa executives and government officials, and prepare briefing documents and collateral materials to support Visa’s public policy engagement, among other responsibilities.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter with extraordinary organizational and writing skills, comfortable covering multiple assignments, in different regions at once, and capable of quickly and efficiently producing high-quality deliverables on a timely, and often daily basis. They should have experience working in government or in the tax/financial services sector.
12 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree; or 10 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Master’s/MBA/JD) or equivalent certification (e.g., CPA or CFA).
- 12+ years of relevant experience with – and a keen understanding of – legislative, regulatory and tax related processes, including processes outside the United States. Experience working on financial services and digital tax matters in both the private and public sector is strongly preferred.
- Bachelors required with advanced degree(s) preferred
- Strong technical knowledge of direct and indirect taxes as well as emerging taxes directed at the digital economy
- In-depth knowledge of global frameworks and institutions that influence the development of global tax policy
- Extensive network of professional contacts in the government and tax space
- Significant experience preparing and staffing senior government or business leaders to interact in public and private settings on high level engagements
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communications skills, including public speaking roles on behalf of a company/government/organization
- Advanced ability to research and analyze complex policy issues and convey those subjects to audiences of varied sophistication
- Experience managing and working with external consultants and legal counsel on sensitive business matters
- Superior time-management skills with respect to setting priorities and managing multiple workflows against tight deadlines
- Outstanding professional poise and maturity when interacting with internal or external colleagues at every level, all of the time
- History of good judgment regarding information, which may be confidential or material, non-public
- Strong appreciation for nuance and demonstrated political acumen
- Proven track record of consistently productive collaboration with diverse colleagues in a highly-matrixed work environment
- Self-starter with proven ability to achieve results
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) and SharePoint and demonstrated strength in developing complex PowerPoint presentations
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours
This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 0 – 15% of the time.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-06-10