Senior Director, U.S. Government Affairs Job
Requisition ID: 267422
Work Area: Communication
Expected Travel: 0 – 10%
Career Status: Professional
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
SAP started in 1972 as a team of five colleagues with a desire to do something new. Together, they changed enterprise software and reinvented how business was done. Today, as a market leader in enterprise application software, we remain true to our roots. That’s why we engineer solutions to fuel innovation, foster equality and spread opportunity for our employees and customers across borders and cultures.
SAP values the entrepreneurial spirit, fostering creativity and building lasting relationships with our employees. We know that a diverse and inclusive workforce keeps us competitive and provides opportunities for all. We believe that together we can transform industries, grow economics, lift up societies and sustain our environment. Because it’s the best-run businesses that make the world run better and improve people’s lives.
PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES
SAP’s Government Affairs division carries out the advocacy and lobbying efforts in markets where it does business. Government Affairs is part of the SAP Global Government Affairs Department which positions SAP and our leaders as before influential government audiences on select, highly relevant topics and to support SAP´s business objectives. Our core priorities include public policy; business support and thought leadership.
EXPECTATIONS AND TASKS BASIC RESPONSIBILITY
The individual SAP seeks must have an in depth understanding of the U.S. legislative and regulatory process including extensive knowledge of the substantive public policy and business issues affecting the world’s leading provider of business software solutions. He/She must have an appreciation and sensitivity to working within the context of an innovative, fast paced, sales-oriented company. The individual will be required to develop and manage a strategic plan for successfully achieving specific results which are favorable to the interest of the company.
The Senior Director of U.S. Government Affairs will report to the Vice President and Head of U.S. Government Affairs who will work together with this individual to help develop policy and political strategy on a range of legislative and regulatory issues, and manage SAP’s interaction with the Federal government on issues that would include but are not be limited to privacy, cybersecurity and appropriations. He/She will be responsible for the strategic development and management of selective federal legislative and regulatory issues and programs.
The Senior Director will develop a strategy to strengthen SAP’s position with Members of the U.S. House and U.S. Senate as well as with U.S. Administration officials. The successful candidate will engage on policy issues before the following committees and agencies: (Senate) Commerce Science and Transportation; Judiciary; Homeland Security and Government Affairs; (House) Energy and Commerce; Judiciary; Homeland Security; Government Reform; (Joint) Select Committee on Intelligence; (Administration) Department of Commerce; Federal Trade Commission; Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Justice.
The Senior Director will work to further SAP’s privacy, cybersecurity, appropriations and Internet policy efforts by aligning with internal business units and assisting with political outreach, as well as with think tank and third party relationships to Members of Congress and Administration officials involved in setting software and business policy. These efforts will advance SAP’s overall Global Corporate Affairs objectives, support SAP’s customers, and improve SAP’s significant position in the world.
The Senior Director, U.S. Government Affairs responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Helps enhance the SAP America Washington, D.C. office by assisting in the development of the Government Affairs practice.
- Designs plans for government outreach and thought leadership by providing analysis of emerging or existing legislative public policy issues impacting the company.
- Gathers intelligence and assists in the preparation of position papers, policy briefings, presentations, and other materials related to government actions.
- Develops and implements legislative and regulatory agendas on matters relating to cybersecurity and privacy issues of interest and concern to SAP, both domestically and internationally.
- Increases SAP’s visibility and presence on Capitol Hill and with the White House.
- Works on complex issues where analysis of situations requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors, and seeks to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways.
- Clearly identifies and communicates corporate positions and objectives.
- Collaborates internally with relevant stakeholders and networks with key contacts outside of their own area of expertise.
- Evaluates pending legislation and regulations that may impact SAP in close consultation with the Vice President, Head of U.S. Government Affairs to develop recommendations and prepare communications for senior management.
- Develops and maintains SAP America PAC.
- Advocates international trade positions on privacy and cybersecurity before government officials and other policy makers.
- Advises internal stakeholders on the impact of public policy, procedures, issues and matters under negotiation.
- Projects include development and implementation of public policy activities, government and industry lobbying efforts, and identifying new opportunities to favorably advancing SAP’s policy agenda.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred.
- The successful candidate will have a minimum of 10 years’ experience as a government relations executive, a Congressional staffer, or as a senior public servant in a relevant government agency, department or business.
- Previous experience and qualifications should include:
- A thorough understanding of U.S. legislative process, including the roles and decision-making processes of the Executive Agencies, U.S. Senate, and U.S. House of Representatives.
- Expertise in policy areas of privacy, cybersecurity and appropriations strongly preferred.
- Experience advocating before Congress and/or the Executive Branch on behalf of corporations, trades associations, or any other interest group strongly preferred. • First-hand experience with Congressional committee process; floor practice and procedure.
- Established relationships on Capitol Hill as well as with key Executive Branch agencies. • The ability to persuasively communicate complex concepts at the highest level of government.
- Experience assisting in the development and implementation of government affairs programs.
- A track record of achievement in advancing important issues through the legislative process.
- Ability to work across functions with both internal and external stakeholders and partners.
- Ability to thrive in a diverse work environment and drive influential change across organizations.
- Desire and ability to learn and advocate on new policy issues effectively.
The Senior Director, U.S. Government Affairs, will have:
- Excellent communications skills (written and verbal).
- Proven creative problem-solving history, ability to work well collaboratively and under pressure.
- Outstanding leadership and professional presence.
- Highly motivated self-starter, results orientated and must enjoy a fast-paced environment. • Team player and willingness to pitch in when necessary.
- Strong political skills, including knowledge of political campaigns and fundraising.
- Acute political sensitivity.
- Superior analytical and strategic thinking skills.
- Keen attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- A strong record of reliability and the ability to develop new and creative ideas.
- An exemplary performance record and a clear reputation for ethical conduct
- Outstanding people skills and a strong substantive ability to converse on complex public policy.
- A keen sense of protocol and the ability to work comfortably and effectively with top level government officials and with the senior leadership of SAP.
- The ability to be a quick study — someone who can quickly learn the company’s issues and the business community’s perspective on them.
WHAT YOU GET FROM US
Success is what you make it. At SAP, we help you make it your own. A career at SAP can open many doors for you. If you’re searching for a company that’s dedicated to your ideas and individual growth, recognizes you for your unique contributions, fills you with a strong sense of purpose, and provides a fun, flexible and inclusive work environment – apply now.
SAP’S DIVERSITY COMMITMENT
To harness the power of innovation, SAP invests in the development of its diverse employees. We aspire to leverage the qualities and appreciate the unique competencies that each person brings to the company.
SAP is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are in need of accommodation or special assistance to navigate our website or to complete your application, please send an e-mail with your request to Recruiting Operations Team (Americas: Careers.NorthAmerica@sap.com or Careers.LatinAmerica@sap.com, APJ: Careers.APJ@sap.com, EMEA: Careers@sap.com).
Successful candidates might be required to undergo a background verification with an external vendor.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-11-02