Senior Director of U.S. Government Affairs, U.S. National Security and Procurement Policy
What we offer
Our company culture is focused on helping our employees enable innovation by building breakthroughs together. How? We focus every day on building the foundation for tomorrow and creating a workplace that embraces differences, values flexibility, and is aligned to our purpose-driven and future-focused work. We offer a highly collaborative, caring team environment with a strong focus on learning and development, recognition for your individual contributions, and a variety of benefit options for you to choose from. Apply now!
PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES
SAP’s Government Affairs division carries out the advocacy and lobbying efforts in markets where it does business. Government Affairs is part of the SAP Global Government Affairs Department which positions SAP and our leaders as before influential government audiences on select, highly relevant topics and to support SAP´s business objectives. Our core priorities include public policy; business support and thought leadership. The Senior Director of U.S. Government Affairs, U.S. National Security and Procurement Policy will join a growing, dynamic team and be able to immediately and directly enhance SAP’s advocacy in support of our Public Sector business. This position reporting directly to the Vice President, Head of U.S. Government Affairs will play a critical and highly visible role for our team that will create, execute, and manage an issue portfolio as a senior lobbyist focused on defense, procurement and contracting policies in the U.S.
EXPECTATIONS AND TASKS
The individual SAP seeks must have an in depth understanding of the U.S. legislative and regulatory process including extensive knowledge and substantive public policy expertise on procurement, acquisition, supply chain, defense and national security issues. He/She must have an appreciation and sensitivity to working within the context of an innovative, fast-paced, sales-oriented company. The individual will be required to develop and manage a strategic plan for successfully achieving specific results which are favorable to the interests of SAP.
Reporting to the Vice President and Head of U.S. Government Affairs, this position will lead U.S. Government Affairs policy efforts on procurement, acquisition reform, supply chain and defense issues before Congress and U.S. defense/national security agencies in support our public sector defense business. This role will work to further SAP’s policy efforts before government by aligning with internal business units and assisting with political outreach. He/she will develop a strategy to enhance SAP’s relationships with Members of Congress and Administration officials.
This position will be responsible for implementing outreach and engagement with policymakers in both the House and Senate, both political parties, the Administration, and industry trade associations. Expected activities include lobbying, developing and successfully executing strategies to further SAP’s business development within the public services sector, assisting with political outreach, recruiting and managing think tank and third-party groups, and maintaining active relationships with Members of Congress, Administration officials and other public policymakers who are involved in setting U.S. federal government procurement policy.
The successful candidate will possess a strong understanding of the procedural and parliamentary nuances of the budget and appropriations process. The Senior Director will advocate for SAP’s interests before House/Senate Appropriations and Armed Services Committees; Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee; and the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee. This role will work closely with our executive team and U.S. public sector business on an overall strategy for key policy and procurement issues.
The Senior Director of U.S. Government Affairs responsibilities include but are not limited to the following: Help strengthen SAP America’s Washington, D. C. presence by assisting in the development and growth of the company’s Government Affairs practice. * Brings credibility to the practice as a recognized expert in the government contracting space with contacts among the stakeholders in the Federal government contracting community. *Designs plans for government outreach and thought leadership by providing analysis of emerging or existing legislative public policy issues impacting the company. * Gathers intelligence and assists in the preparation of position papers, policy briefings, presentations, and other materials related to government actions. * Develops and implements legislative and regulatory agendas on matters relating to defense agency issues of interest and concern to SAP. *Increases SAP’s visibility and presence on Capitol Hill and with the Administration. *Advise SAP America’s clients on the impact of public policy, procedures, issues and matters under consideration. * Provide SAP America clients with information, advice, and perspective concerning federal government leadership, policies, and activities. * Assists SAP America’s Legal and Compliance organizations in matters pertaining to government contracting and the compliance obligations of SAP America U.S. Government Affairs. *Evaluates pending legislation and regulations that may impact SAP in close consultation with the Vice President, U.S. Government Affairs to develop recommendations and prepare communications for senior management and the CEO. *Acts as a proactive strategic agent advocating on behalf of the SAP America clients’ government affairs interests in multiple fora, helping inform and shape industry consensus on legislative messaging and public policy agendas. * Represents SAP America’s interests in ongoing face-to-face meetings with the political and career leadership in Washington, advising them directly on specific legislative proposals and decisions that may affect them. * Attend political events with elected officials on behalf of SAP America PAC.
QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
Bachelor’s degree required, law degree preferred. U.S. public policy expertise/experience required.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of ten years’ experience as a government relations or trade association executive, a Congressional staff member, or as a public servant in a relevant government agency or department. Previous experience and qualifications should include:
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in the Federal public sector space that includes Congressional staff work, a public policy-related position within the Administration, or a combination thereof, with substantive experience in the field of Federal procurement.
- A thorough understanding of U.S. legislative process, including the roles and decision-making processes of the Executive Agencies, U.S. Senate, and U.S. House of Representatives.
- Strong working knowledge of the budget and appropriations process from both a Congressional and Federal Government perspective.
- Refined legal skills, with particular emphasis on government procurement law and contracting/transaction experience in the Federal contracting space, as well as a working knowledge of compliance issues, including Lobbying Disclosure and Ethics and Gifts Rules.
- Expertise in the policy areas of procurement, government contracting, acquisition reform, defense, national security, supply chain and IT modernization.
- Experience advocating before Congress and/or the Executive Branch on behalf of corporations, trades associations, or other interest group preferred.
- First-hand experience with government agencies and the Congressional oversight process.
- Established relationships on Capitol Hill as well as with key Executive Branch agencies.
- Ability to work across functions with both internal and external stakeholders and partners.
- Strong people skills, in particular, the ability to work in and be a part of an action-oriented working environment, to understand and maintain a keen sense of protocol, and to work comfortably and effectively with top level government officials and with the leadership of SAP.
The successful candidate will have:
- Excellent communications skills (written and oral).
- The ability to persuasively communicate complex concepts at the highest level of government.
- Proven creative problem-solving history, ability to work well collaboratively.
- Outstanding leadership and professional presence.
- Highly motivated self-starter, results orientated and must enjoy a fast-paced environment.
- Team player and willingness to pitch in when necessary.
- Strong political skills, including knowledge of political current events and topics preferred.
- Keen attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Strong strategic thinking skills.
- A consistent record of reliability and the ability to develop new and creative ideas.
- An exemplary performance record and a clear reputation for ethical conduct.
- Outstanding people skills and a keen sense of protocol and the ability to work comfortably and effectively with top level government officials and with the senior leadership of SAP.
- The ability to be a quick study — someone who can quickly learn the company’s issues and the business community’s perspective on them.
- A proven track record of reliability and ability to operate in pressure situations.
- A reputation for impeccable ethical conduct, honesty, loyalty, and collegiality.
- Experience successfully advocating for client interests in industry associations, with member leadership in such associations preferred, on matters related to Federal contracting and procurement.
- An undergraduate degree, with a subject matter relevant graduate degree and/or law degree preferred.
SAP’S DIVERSITY COMMITMENT
To harness the power of innovation, SAP invests in the development of its diverse employees. We aspire to leverage the qualities and appreciate the unique competencies that each person brings to the company.
We are SAP
SAP innovations help more than 400,000 customers worldwide work together more efficiently and use business insight more effectively. Originally known for leadership in enterprise resource planning (ERP) software, SAP has evolved to become a market leader in end-to-end business application software and related services for database, analytics, intelligent technologies, and experience management. As a cloud company with 200 million users and more than 100,000 employees worldwide, we are purpose-driven and future-focused, with a highly collaborative team ethic and commitment to personal development. Whether connecting global industries, people, or platforms, we help ensure every challenge gets the solution it deserves. At SAP, we build breakthroughs, together.
Our inclusion promise
SAP’s culture of inclusion, focus on health and well-being, and flexible working models help ensure that everyone – regardless of background – feels included and can run at their best. At SAP, we believe we are made stronger by the unique capabilities and qualities that each person brings to our company, and we invest in our employees to inspire confidence and help everyone realize their full potential. We ultimately believe in unleashing all talent and creating a better and more equitable world.
SAP is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to the values of Equal Employment Opportunity and provide accessibility accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with SAP and are in need of accommodation or special assistance to navigate our website or to complete your application, please send an e-mail with your request to Recruiting Operations Team: Americas: Careers.NorthAmerica@sap.com or Careers.LatinAmerica@sap.com, APJ: Careers.APJ@sap.com, EMEA: Careers@sap.com.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability:
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their age, race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, age, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, et al), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or disability.
Successful candidates might be required to undergo a background verification with an external vendor.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-10-12