Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Director of U.S. Public Policy
Do what you love. Love what you do.
At Workday, we help the world’s largest organizations adapt to what’s next by bringing finance, HR, and planning into a single enterprise cloud. We work hard, and we’re serious about what we do. But we like to have fun, too. We put people first, celebrate diversity, drive innovation, and do good in the communities where we live and work.
About the Team
Founded in 2005, Workday is leading the way into the cloud as a provider of enterprise cloud applications for finance and human resources. We help customers adapt and thrive in a changing world. Workday applications for financial management, human resources, planning, spend management, and analytics have been adopted by thousands of organizations around the world. Our customers include companies that make up half of the Fortune 50, many state and local governments, and we recently announced our entry into the U.S. federal market!
About the Role
Are you looking for a new role at a growing enterprise cloud company at a time of continued focus on the tech sector and cloud adoption? Our Corporate Affairs team is seeking a Senior Director of U.S. Public Policy to lead our U.S.-focused team. Our efforts focus on privacy, artificial intelligence, workforce, federal IT modernization, sustainability, cybersecurity, and diversity, equity, and inclusion. True to our values, Workday seeks to influence public policy supporting ethical innovation, encouraging cloud adoption, and protecting the privacy and security of our customers!
This opportunity will include leading a dynamic and growing U.S.-focused government relations team with a bias for action. The team collaborates with the global public policy and sustainability teams and works closely with colleagues throughout Legal, Compliance, & Corporate Affairs and the business. Located in Washington, DC and reporting to the Vice President, Corporate Affairs, the principal responsibilities include:
- Promoting Workday as a trusted and high integrity technology partner providing software solutions that inspire a better workday for all
- Analyzing policies impacting our business; including those related to our core issues of privacy, artificial intelligence, workforce, federal IT modernization, sustainability, cybersecurity, and diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Developing policy positioning tied to our business interests, shaping our advocacy and building our policy brand with key partners including policymakers and regulators
- Creating advocacy campaigns advancing our policy positions, building our company profile, and opening up business opportunities; including legislative proposals, regulatory submissions, coalitions, events, position papers, etc.
- Driving engagement with policymakers at the federal and state and local level; including building durable and strategic relationships that position Workday as a “trusted advisor”
- Collaborating with the business to drive policy expanding addressable markets and working closely with Education & Government sales teams to promote Workday, remove hurdles, and nurture opportunities for adoption of Workday in the public sector
- Driving the selection of and engagement with outside expertise; including government affairs consultants and third party advocacy partners
- Participating in trade associations; including shaping positioning, influencing key initiatives, and using their assistance to drive our campaigns
- 12+ years of confirmed experience in government relations, public policy, government service, professional services/consulting, or Information Technology
- 5+ years of people management experience
- 3+ demonstrated ability in policy development and engaging with regulators, legislators, and administration officials or experience using engagement and the policy process to advance business goals
- Proven experience developing and maintaining strategic relationships with federal, state and local government officials, and organizations that influence the direction of public policy
- Record of success handling policy matters related to privacy, artificial intelligence, workforce, federal IT modernization, sustainability, cybersecurity, and diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Familiarity with technology, with a focus on cloud computing, SaaS, and enterprise software
- Experience leading public policy efforts in a corporate setting or working in a Congressional office, on Congressional committee staff, or in the executive branch or public sector
- Experience crafting and carrying out advocacy campaigns engaging policymakers and partners
- An ambitious approach and ability to self-start, deliver in a fast-paced environment, and possess solid judgment and a sense of humor
- Proven track record of developing, inspiring, and energizing passionate high-impact teams that are aligned on objectives and values
- History of championing a team environment grounded on trust and encouraging people to take thoughtful risks and do their best
- Affinity for detail and capable of balancing various priorities while running multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong oral and written communication skills, from 140 character tweets to in-depth policy analyses
- Compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations, and Workday policies and procedures
As a federal contractor, Workday is requiring all new hires to verify that they are fully-vaccinated against COVID-19 within 72 hours of beginning employment with Workday, consistent with applicable law. Workday is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates who are not vaccinated due to a sincerely held religious belief, medical reasons, or other legally-protected reason should contact email@example.com to explore what, if any, reasonable accommodations or exemptions Workday is able to offer.
Pursuant to applicable Fair Chance law, Workday will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Workday is an Equal Opportunity Employer including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.
Are you being referred to one of our roles? If so, ask your connection at Workday about our Employee Referral process!
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-07-24