Senior Director – U.S. Public Policy and Government Relations
Habitat for Humanity International(HFHI) is currently seeking a talented person for our Senior Director – U.S. Public Policy and Government Relations position. The Senior Director has strategic and supervisory responsibility for all U.S. public policy and government relations activities in the US, including both federal policy and state and local policy, as well as leading the policy efforts and supporting the implementation of Habitat’s first-ever US advocacy campaign. The position will work to represent the interests of HFHI and the Habitat US network in an attempt to drive policy change at the local, state, and national levels.
The senior director will represent HFHI before government agencies and officials and within coalitions, associations, and organizations. The senior director will be HFHI’s government relations and advocacy expert on cross-functional teams within HFHI and the broader HFH network. The senior director will provide guidance, and support on implementation as needed, to Habitat’s advocacy campaigns team, as well as advocacy capacity building activities, advocacy mobilization, and overarching efforts to support government relations and advocacy among Habitat’s U.S. affiliates. The position will play a critical role in leading and supporting the implementation of HFHI’s anunal legislative conference.
Habitat will entrust you with:
- Leading the development of and has primary responsibility for the implementation of HFHI’s public policy agenda.
- Developing, with support from broader US government relations team, written materials, justifications and guidance on priority HFH US public policy matters, guided by inputs from HFHI and the broader HFH network.
- Providing strategic direction and leadership to HFHI’s domestically focused public policy and government relations efforts in the US, including federal and state/local policy.
- Providing strategic direction and leadership to the public policy elements of HFH US advocacy campaigns and partners extensively with the US advocacy campaigns team to support campaign implementation.
- Managing HFHI’s state-local and federal government relations teams.
- Representing HFHI within key membership organizations and coalitions.
- Representing HFHI’s Office of Government Relations and Advocacy on internal HFHI working groups, committees, task forces, etc.
- Providing guidance, and support as needed, to Habitat’s domestic capacity building and federal mobilization efforts, and overall advocacy support to Habitat’s U.S. affiliates.
- Supporting global public policy efforts on a limited basis and in coordination with HFHI’s global public policy team
- Providing leadership and support to Habitat on the Hill, HFHI’s annual legislative conference.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 10+ years of related public policy and government relations experience.
- Significant experience with and knowledge of U.S. affordable housing policy.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to make quick decisions
- Expert management skills.
- Proven ability to work in a bi-partisan and non-partisan environment
- Proven ability to manage a team of experts and to work within the complexities of a large organization.
- Minimum of 10 years experience in advocacy/government relations/government.
- Ability to interpret US law and influence state and federal policy and law
- Direct experience with lobbying the US Congress or a state legislature.
- Law degree or graduate degree in a relevant field of study
- Experience working in the Washington DC environment and in the non-profit sector.
- Experience working in a large organization with a federated structure
- Proven Servant leadership philosophy
- Experience leading or supporting legislative conferences.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-01-25