Senior Director, US Government Affairs & Public Policy
BeiGene continues to grow at a rapid pace with challenging and exciting opportunities for experienced professionals. When considering candidates, we look for scientific and business professionals who are highly motivated, collaborative, and most importantly, share our passionate interest in fighting cancer.
BeiGene is a global, commercial-stage biotechnology company focused on discovering, developing, manufacturing, and commercializing innovative medicines to improve treatment outcomes and access for patients worldwide. Our 3,800+ employees in China, the United States, Australia, and Europe are committed to expediting the development of a diverse pipeline of novel therapeutics for cancer. We currently market two internally-discovered oncology products: BTK inhibitor BRUKINSA™ (zanubrutinib) in the United States, and anti-PD-1 antibody tislelizumab in China. We also market or plan to market in China additional oncology products licensed from Amgen Inc., Celgene Logistics Sàrl, a Bristol Myers Squibb company, and EUSA Pharma. To learn more about BeiGene, please visit www.beigene.com and follow us on Twitter at @BeiGeneUSA.
The Senior/Executive Director, US Government Affairs & Public Policy will be the Company’s first Government Affairs role in the United States and a key member of the Company’s global Legal & Compliance Team, working to advance and protect the legislative and regulatory interests, and the reputation of the Company. Reporting to the General Counsel, the Senior/Executive Director, US Government Affairs & Public Policy will work with senor leadership to drive public policy and government affairs efforts in support of a rapidly growing global biotechnology company. The successful candidate must have significant experience in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry and a proven track record in working with relevant federal and state legislators, committees and agencies to influence policy at the federal and state level. Additionally, the successful candidate is expected to embody a culture of integrity, transparency, compliance and collaboration, which are core values for BeiGene’s Legal & Compliance Team. This position will be located in Washington D.C.
- Primarily focus on federal government affairs, with additional responsibilities for state-level advocacy in California, Massachusetts, and New Jersey, where the Company has offices with over 700 employees.
- Work with senior leadership to develop and execute government affairs and public policy strategies, tactical plans and advocacy materials to influence legislative, executive and agency actions.
- Monitor and report to senior leadership on relevant federal and state legislation, political developments and relevant industry issues, and provide briefings on strategies aimed at protecting BeiGene, its patients, and its other stakeholders.
- Advocate BeiGene interests before a network of relevant stakeholders, including the U.S. Congress and state legislatures, federal and state agencies, opinion leaders, outside allies, coalitions and trade associations.
- Work closely with industry and patient advocacy organizations, including the Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO), where our CEO is on the health section governing board, and MassBio, where we are an active member; and support the CEO and General Counsel in their activities with these organizations.
- Educate internal stakeholders (e.g., Legal, Commercial, Regulatory, Investor Relations, Corporate Communications) on legislative and executive matters relevant to BeiGene, its patients, and its other stakeholders.
- Serve as a registered lobbyist for the Company’s U.S. subsidiary.
- Manage all of the Company’s U.S. federal and state government affairs and public policy efforts, including working with outside lobbyists and consultants, with the opportunity to build the function and hire additional staff, as warranted
- 10 years minimum in positions of increasing responsibility and experience in government affairs and public policy.
- Relevant legislative experience in healthcare policy.
- Experience with international pharmaceutical or biotechnology companies required.
- Experience with U.S.-China relations a strong plus.
- Working knowledge related to federal and key state healthcare laws, international trade, IP protection, federal appropriations, pricing and reimbursement, healthcare transparency laws, market access, healthcare compliance, and other healthcare and corporate issues that impact the biotechnology industry.
Travel: Willing to travel in line with business needs.
Education Required: Bachelor’s degree and graduate degree required. Preferably a JD and/or Master’s degree in political science/public administration, biology/chemistry, or public health.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically in accordance with BeiGene’s Code of Business Conduct and Ethics, policies and procedures.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Follows instructions and responds to management direction.
- Communication – Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Writes clearly and informatively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Shares expertise with others.
- Adaptability – Able to adapt to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and development areas; Pursues training and opportunities for growth; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Dependability – Follows instructions and responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Project Management – Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and within budget.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. BeiGene does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-21