Senior Email Strategist
Senior Email Strategist
Location: Remote, United States
About Grassroots Law Project:
Grassroots Law Project, founded by civil rights activist and journalist Shaun King and civil rights attorney Lee Merritt, bridges the gap between grassroots organizing and legal expertise in criminal justice reform by bringing millions of people together to address the most pressing and egregious failures of the system, hold powerful actors accountable, and advocate for deep structural change.
With the help of a vast grassroots network, Grassroots Law provides organizing and legal support to radically reform the American legal system. We support families who have been victimized by police violence, racism, and mass incarceration, confront key decision makers, apply public pressure to draw attention to cases that normally go overlooked. The staffer in this position will also be employed by two political action committees, The Action PAC — which supports candidates and policies to dismantle systems of racial injustice — and Real Justice — devoted to recruiting reform District Attorney candidates in elections throughout the country, and supporting their decarceral efforts in office.
As the team behind campaigns to free Rodney Reed, free Michael Thompson, stop the execution of Nate Woods, and seek justice for the families of Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, and George Floyd, we’ve learned that our success depends on high-quality work by best-in-class legal, organizing, communications, and design professionals who are passionate about racial justice.
About the Role:
Grassroots Law is seeking a Senior Email Strategist to lead a robust email program to engage our large and growing email community of social justice activists. This position will conceive, write, and produce large-scale email campaigns to educate people about the solutions to systematic racial injustice and mass incarceration, engage people in urgent and strategic organizing, seize rapid-response moments, and build supporters’ ownership in justice work to achieve fundraising goals.
What you’ll do:
- Lead a robust email program, working with the Digital Director and alongside best-in-class creative, organizing, and legal teams, civil rights leader Shaun King, and civil rights attorney Lee Merritt.
- Draft compelling messages and messaging arcs, writing in the unique voices of GLP leadership and the organization.
- Develop and refine content for automated content streams including welcome series and reactivation.
- Produce email campaigns and track their performance.
- Track deliverability across prominent domains, adjusting practices and targeting accordingly in order to ensure that our emails reach our audiences’ inboxes.
- Help set email calendar priorities to best support organizing, messaging, fundraising and narrative flow across Grassroots Law Project, Real Justice, and Action PAC channels.
What we’re looking for:
- Deep commitment to and/or experience with Racial Justice advocacy.
- 3+ years experience working in email, with experience managing email programs at scale.
- Excellent, fast, and versatile writer.
- An organizer mindset, someone who knows how to identify moments and use messaging to mobilize interest and action.
- Experience using email to support both online and offline actions.
- Strong capability in email CRM’s, particularly ActionKit.
- Familiarity and knowledge of best practices in list management and deliverability.
We’d love to see:
- Experience on electoral campaigns.
- Experience in executive writing and/or ghostwriting.
- Experience with successfully managing email fundraising at scale.
- Experience in Black-led organizations.
Salary range is $70,000 – $85,000 dependent on skill and experience, plus benefits including medical, dental, vision, 3 weeks PTO, 10 holidays, 3 months paid parental leave.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, send a resume and brief cover letter summarizing your experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job posted: 2020-12-31