Senior Employee Engagement & Corporate Communications Specialist
The Senior Specialist, Employee Engagement & Corporate Communications is passionate about creating a culture that supports the development of amazing work in a creative environment. The specialist will manage day-to-day communication to all internal stakeholders including Employees, Board, and State/Local Chapters, all playing an important role in supporting SHRM as the voice of all things work. The Senior Specialist will bring an understanding of employee engagement, executive visibility and stakeholder engagement through internal communications channels. Strong writing, communications, and planning and project management skills coupled with the ability to multi-task will be the keys to success in this position. The Senior Specialist also will be action and results oriented, have a strong sense of ownership, distill information to find common threads between projects, and be energized by juggling priorities.
This position must understand the unique power of employee engagement and how an organization can connect with its employees to strengthen a creative, positive and high-performance culture and empower staff to strive to do their best. Reporting to the Vice President, Communications, a successful candidate must commit him/herself to gaining a deep understanding of how to best position SHRM and SHRM leadership to engage both the global employee and partner base, as well as micro-target based on functional priorities.
- Manage day-to-day employee engagement projects to drive employee engagement and foster a high-performance culture within a transformational organization
- Strategically plan and then develop content for employee engagement programs that foster community and inclusion at all levels.
- Lead employee engagement events, ranging from social functions to STAR Coffees to all-hands communications meetings, ensuring all planning and logistics are well-executed and meet expectations.
- Ensure program deadlines are met with high quality while handling multiple projects.
- Live SHRM’s culture and represent SHRM in the marketplace.
- Manage the cascade of information between HQ employees, the field force, Volunteers, Boards, Chapter and State Councils, and other interconnected audiences.
- Help create the story by developing editorial calendars, monitoring trends, creating content for internal platforms as well as social media – Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
- Develop plan to support executive visibility efforts.
- Partner with the SHRM Foundation on Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiatives
- Produce metric reports.
- Understand how to internally communicate the SHRM story including the role of Government Affairs, Membership as well as other products or growth initiatives to the employees.
- Manage SHRMin intranet optimizing and updating regularly to consistently improve the employee experience.
- Partner with internal data analytics team to formulate and execute targeted communications focused on improving program performance.
- Work with subject matter experts (internal and panels) to update and improve assets.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or additional real-world work experience with a proven track record of success in an employee communications role for a company of more than 300,
- 5 – 8 years of agency and/or in-house experience in a communication environment – employee, internal or related.
- Track record of successful engagement strategies with employees and internal stakeholders
- Proven experience in areas of PR planning, execution, measurement/metrics, and project management.
- Strong writing, editing and multi-tasking skills with a sharp eye for detail.
- Proactive thinker with the ability to recognize problems and opportunities in advance.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Strong aptitude to write long and short-form content.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Technology savvy.
- Highly organized and ability to juggle multiple tasks with competing priorities and meet deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work as part of a team with excellent interpersonal skills. Strong understanding of social media and specifically how to use with the audiences of employees, partners, and stakeholders
Let us know if you have:
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations or communications with multiple successful undergrad internships in Internal Communications, Corp Comms, Employee Engagement
- Experience with tight-deadlines and fast paced environment.
- Experience communicating around policy issues.
- Experience with internal communication platforms such as intranets, internal social platforms, enewsletters, etc
- Ability to create graphics and visuals.
- Ability to film and create video.
- Ability to copy edit.
- Ability to transform a story for their audience as well as take an employee engagement element and transform it for a broader audience.
- Regularly required to sit; talk and hear, use hands to type, file, handle or feel. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. Occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Visual acuity to use a keyboard, prepare and analyze data and figures; transcribing, viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading.
- May require ordinary ambulatory skills enough to visit other locations; or the ability to stand, walk, lift, carry and move light to medium weight. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and learn technical information.
- Light lifting is required. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force to constantly move objects.
- Work is regularly performed in a combination of office and conference settings and routinely uses standard office equipment.
Job posted: 2020-10-01