Senior Executive Writer, Communications – (2000580)
The Senior Executive Writer is part of the Division of Communications, University Relations department at Vanderbilt University and will be a lead individual contributor responsible for producing written communications for the Chancellor and the Provost, as well as other university leaders. Reporting directly to the Editorial Strategy Director, the Senior Executive Writer will propose, develop and manage multi-format writing projects and will also analyze and provide data on the impact of deliverables.
The University Relations team within the Division of Communications is responsible for developing and executing strategic content and developing digital platforms that advance the university’s priorities and promote engagement among all core audiences. The Senior Executive Writer will work within the Editorial Strategy function.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Executes on communications strategies and programs for top university leadership, which will include identifying the appropriate distribution channels, frequency and audience for communications on a wide variety of topics.
- Articulates complex policies and information in the appropriate leadership voice and style to produce engaging content for articles, messages, remarks and presentations tailored for target audiences.
- Drafts speeches, articles, columns, talking points, briefing materials and other internal and public-facing materials for university leaders as assigned.
- Works across the Division of Communications to develop and manage timelines and project plans as assigned.
- Reviews and ensures accuracy of all facts, statistics and claims made about the university in leadership communications.
- Analyzes and communicates metrics to clients and adjusts subsequent content as needed.
- Researches key topics, identifies external reports and data, and monitors higher education issues and trends to inform work produced for university leadership.
- Works closely with the Communications Strategy Director to determine additional content opportunities and distribution strategies.
- Partners with the Office of the Chancellor, Office of the Provost and other on scheduling, organization, and creation of communications needs.
- Provides overall support as needed and assigned for department priorities.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education is necessary.
- A Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, or Communications is preferred.
- At least five years of communications experience is necessary.
- Five to ten years of experience in journalism or leadership communications is preferred.
- Knowledge of higher-education and/or equity, diversity and inclusion issues is preferred.
- Ability to adapt and show flexibility with evolving needs and priorities is necessary.
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, editing and verbal communication skills are necessary.
- Self-starter, detail-oriented, proactive, ability to work both independently and in teams is necessary.
- Attention to detail is necessary.
- Ability to understand and relay complex information to various stakeholders is necessary.
- Ability to adapt to the unique tone and style of the executive to deliver credible, authentic communications is necessary.
- Proven track record in storytelling is necessary.
- Utmost adherence to confidentiality and business ethics; demonstrates outstanding judgment and discretion is necessary.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
At Vanderbilt University, we are intentional about and assume accountability for fostering advancement and respect for equity, diversity, and inclusion for all students, faculty, and staff. Our commitment to diversity makes us who we are. We have created a community that celebrates differences and lets individuality thrive. As part of this commitment, we actively value diversity in our workplace and learning environments as we seek to take advantage of the rich backgrounds and abilities of everyone. The diverse voices of Vanderbilt represent an invaluable resource for the University in its efforts to fulfill its mission and strive to be an example of excellence in higher education.
Vanderbilt University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-07