Senior External Communications Specialist
The Communications Division of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) has an exciting opportunity for a Senior External Communications Specialist who enjoys working for an organization that strives every day to support the public good and make a difference. Interested applicants should have strong attention to detail, are able to meet deadlines on a regular basis and are driven to provide excellent customer service. This position is located in our in Washington D.C. office. Apply today!
The Senior External Communications Specialist position is responsible for planning and executing external communications programs and activities. This role serves as a point of contact for external communications and works in or with the business units to coordinate content and ensure consistent messaging.
• Evaluates and responds to media requests in accordance with the media strategy.
• Collaborates with manager or director on potential media issues.
• Reviews and sends out NAIC Newswire (A daily subscription-based news source for NAIC Members and interested parties.)
• Monitors the NAIC Media News Mailbox and enters status of engagements daily.
• Fosters good working relationships with the press.
• Gathers and compiles talking points for external speaking engagements.
• Writes for various communications vehicles, including, but not limited to executive messaging, podcast and video scripts, media pitches, ghostwritten articles, social media posts, news releases, speeches.
• Researches, gathers, and compiles information for talking points, newsletters, reports, media releases and other communications initiatives.
• Supports the government relations team to develop communications, write talking points, prepare regulators for testimony, generate web posts, and execute promotional activities around conferences.
• Keeps the communications team up to date on relevant activities relating to issues in committees and working groups.
Other duties may be assigned.
Skills and Abilities:
• Must be flexible and responsive to keep up with evolving developments.
• Must be able to work on multiple projects at the same time and juggle the varying needs of diverse clients to meet deadlines.
• Accuracy and attention to detail.
• Strong Project management skills.
• Proven ability to be innovative and creative.
• Ability to work autonomously and interface easily with senior business leaders and the media.
• Must be available and willing to travel as the Association determines is necessary or desirable to meet its business needs (minimum of three times a year).
Minimum Education and/or Experience Required:
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, or communications from a four-year college or university, and a minimum of three to eight years’ experience in communications or media relations; or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
• Writing and Editing
• Media Relations
• Podcast production
• Social media
• Experience building communication plans
• Experience supporting events and webinars
• An understanding of insurance and regulatory processes
Why Work at the NAIC/NIPR?
• Flexible Work Environment
• 37.5 Hour Work Week
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Referral Bonuses
• Choice of Insurance Plans
• Vacation Buy Back
• Infants in the Work Place
• Adoption Assistance
• Parental Leave
• Employee Recognition Programs
• Days Off for Community Service
• Student Loan Repayment Program
• Transportation Credit
The NAIC is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
For consideration, please apply online at:
Applicants for all positions are considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ancestry, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, military or veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Job posted: 2021-09-19