Senior Federal Government Affairs Manager, US
Job Profile Summary
Our purpose is to bring together people, energy and markets to power and navigate a changing world.
In a time of constant change and possibility we need new talent to pursue commercial opportunities, fueled by world-class insight and expertise. We’re always striving for more innovative digital solutions, sustainable outcomes and closer collaboration across our company and beyond, and you could be part of that too. Together we continue to grow as the world’s leading energy trader!
Essential experience and job requirements:
- At least 10 years’ experience working in federal, state or local governments, working on a lobbying team, or in highly-charged national or state political environments. Experience managing advocacy efforts in federal government in the U.S. Direct experience on Capitol Hill.
- Successful candidate will be flexible and able to work with colleagues in multiple locations globally while understanding the importance of BP’s single external face. Understands the business strategy & commercial drivers as well as specific regulations and impacts. Strong written and verbal communication and advocacy skills, including the ability to present information in a clear and compelling way.
Why join us
At bp, we support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and challenging environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. We are committed to encouraging an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are meaningful, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, and excellent retirement benefits, among others!
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
About the role
This individual will be a member of C&A focusing on federal government affairs and serve as a lobbyist for all bp businesses in the U.S. before the United States Congress and the Administration. The ideal candidate is able to identify and analyze emerging and current legislative, regulatory, policy, and political issues that could impact bp’s businesses and work directly with the businesses and C&A team members to effectively implement bp’s lobbying and advocacy strategy. The role coordinates with other federal and state government affairs team members and the broader Communications & Advocacy (C&A) team to ensure that federal lobbying and advocacy strategies are aligned and coordinated at every level to support bp’s business needs.
- Responsible for building and holding direct relationships with Members of Congress, Congressional staff, and key Administration officials for the purpose of effectively advocating on behalf of bp’s interests. Directly contact senior executives/business unit leaders on their priorities, developing and implementing external engagement plans.
- Coordinate with, and in some cases direct, the broader Communications & Advocacy (C&A) group to ensure that public and government affairs strategies are aligned and coordinated at every level to support bp’s business needs. Guide and support the federal lobbying team in delivering business and C&A objectives. Lead coalitions within bp and with external groups in support of bp’s advocacy.
- Represent bp on key committees at associations in Washington, DC. Develop and deliver a strategic Federal Government Relations community involvement program consistent with bp objectives and policies and aligned with businesses. Oversee compliance with, including timely reporting, all applicable lobbying disclosure requirements.
Bachelor’s degree with an advanced degree (MBA, JD, etc.) or equivalent professional experience preferred.
- Builds effective working relationships. Possesses excellent problem solving skills. Very strong organizational and prioritization skills, and the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously while working under tight time constraints.
- Can lead projects and deliver results direction given broad guidance on approach and method of work. Proven success as a strong phenomenal teammate who is self-motivated and can work independently as well as collaboratively. High level of energy and passion toward new and evolving challenges. Ability to adapt quickly to changing circumstances.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-10-05