Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Fellow, Technology & Innovation Policy
The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., and with regional offices across the country—is seeking an energetic senior fellow in Technology & Innovation Policy to work primarily in issue areas such as internet governance, digital democracy and emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence and computational decision making. This position reports to the director of the Technology & Innovation Policy program. If you want to join a hardworking organization and do something outstanding, this may be just the opportunity you need!
Your typical day at R Street may include researching and writing exceptional policy papers, op-eds and blog posts about significant topics related to emerging technologies; engaging directly with leaders on key policy issue areas; and interacting with a range of national and local media outlets to educate and provide context on the most impactful technology and innovation policy.
Other Aspects of Your Role:
- Help conceive and oversee research projects that are high-quality, highly credible and timely.
- Adapt policy, engagement and communication strategy in a quick-changing legislative and regulatory landscape.
- Work with government affairs and communications teams to identify and consistently engage with target audiences.
- Write a mix of op-eds, regulatory comments and policy papers to help solve difficult problems and translate complex ideas in technology policy.
- Collaborate with internal and external scholars to move the policy conversation forward.
- Keep up-to-date with the latest research in your subset of technology policy.
- Attend and speak at events and convenings.
- Serve on periodic lookout shifts to guard against ninja infiltration.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Exceptional analytical and communication skills with an ability to synthesize complex information quickly and explain complicated concepts clearly and concisely
- Superior interpersonal skills and a strong team orientation
- Strong writing skills
- Ability to serve effectively in a cross-functional role, working simultaneously with several different R Street organizational units
- Excellent attention to detail and an ability to manage competing interests and priorities
- Passion for free markets and limited, effective government
- No particular academic background is required; a proven track record of results is far more important than credentials
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a multidimensional organization
We offer a flexible working arrangement. This is a full-time position that can either work the majority of the week in our D.C. office or be fully remote.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide the following:
- Unlimited paid time off policy, including all federal holidays, the day after Thanksgiving and two weeks holiday closure in December
- Alternating Fridays off
- A health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families)
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match
- HSA employer contribution match
- Quarterly wellness reimbursement
- Mobile equipment reimbursement
- Internet subsidy
- Monthly mobile plan reimbursement
- Annual educational and professional development reimbursement
- An option between child care assistance, pet care assistance or student loan repayment assistance reimbursement
R Street is committed to a workplace that values diversity, equity and inclusion. We believe having a more diverse workforce will strengthen R Street’s ability to innovate, achieve our mission and support long-term systemic change. As people dedicated to limited, effective government and free markets, we understand that a free society achieves its greatest triumphs by allowing and facilitating a wide variety of approaches to public policy problems. The concept of “broad coalitions,” one of our core operating principles, stems from that insight. People of all races, religions, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, life experiences and socioeconomic backgrounds perform at the highest levels in every type of work that we do and have crafted the principles to which we subscribe. We believe that searching for talent everywhere is an integral part of living up to our principles.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. We will contact qualified individuals for telephone interviews and conduct them on a rolling basis. Interviews will be held virtually, via Zoom.
To apply, you must upload a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format at: https://street.applytojob.
Job posted: 2022-08-25