Senior Government Affairs Analyst/Associate Director
The California Association of Public Hospitals and Health Systems is committed to ensuring all Californians have equal access to high quality, affordable health care. We are looking for a Senior Government Affairs Analyst/Associate Director* to help achieve these goals by playing a critical role in advancing the organization’s state and federal advocacy agenda. This position will work closely with CAPH policy and communications staff and public health care system leaders to analyze and respond to proposed legislation and regulations, coordinate and schedule meetings with elected leaders and stakeholders, and provide communications support to CAPH to ensure our messages are reaching the appropriate audiences. This role requires a strong understanding of CAPH/SNI’s policy, programmatic and advocacy goals, a passion and commitment to equitable health care, and a desire for continuous learning to effectively support the senior CAPH staff, colleagues, and public health care system members.
The Government Affairs position will also work with CAPH’s non-profit quality improvement affiliate, the California Health Care Safety Net Institute (SNI). For more information about both organizations, please visit our websites at www.caph.org and www.safetynetinstitute.org
*CAPH is seeking to fill one position on the Government Affairs team at either the Senior Government Affairs Analyst or the Associate Director level and will make the determination based on the overall candidate pool and the individual’s level of experience.
The position is classified as exempt.
CAPH/SNI is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to racial, cultural, and ethnic diversity. Qualified applicants of all races, people with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
A successful candidate will demonstrate:
· Strong written and verbal communications skills in a policy, regulatory and political context;
· A sharp analytical mind that enjoys dissecting complex and evolving issues and strategies;
· Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple priorities and use effective process management strategies;
· Consistent attention to detail, demonstrated through comprehensive analyses and high caliber, accurate work products;
· A preference for collaboration and shared problem-solving in a small, fast-paced, and hard-working environment;
· Excellent interpersonal skills and judgment, including courtesy, confidentiality and professionalism in interacting with colleagues, members and external contacts;
· The ability to anticipate and develop solutions for unanticipated challenges, using creative thinking and resourcefulness; and
· The ability to adapt quickly and easily to changing priorities and circumstances, while ensuring that high priority issues are addressed appropriately.
Under supervision from the Senior Vice President of External Affairs, the Senior Government Affairs Analyst/Associate Director will plan, coordinate, and ensure the successful execution of the association’s government affairs priorities, including:
Supporting government affairs advocacy
· Coordinating our bill file, which involves tracking assigned bills identifying pertinent legislation; monitoring key deadlines and legislative hearings; working with colleagues to meet specified deadlines; coordinating the submission of position letters; and under the supervision of the Senior Vice President of External Affairs, serving as a liaison with legislative offices, partner organizations and key stakeholders on priority legislation.
· Analyze pertinent state and federal legislation and regulations and develop recommendations for CAPH advocacy. Work closely with CAPH leadership and other policy staff to develop and arrive at recommendations and lead issue areas.
· Draft and develop materials, such as advocacy position papers, member template letters, policy and advocacy briefs, and presentations to be shared with external parties.
Maintaining strong relationships with public health care systems leaders, key partner organizations and legislative staff
· Work closely with and serve as a resource for member system government affairs teams, including providing analysis and support on key bills; gathering input on potential member impacts to inform our positioning; prioritizing issues, and coordinating advocacy efforts.
· Collaborate with partner organizations on key issues and represent CAPH in stakeholder and coalition groups and in interfacing with the Legislature and the State.
Coordinating advocacy events and facilitating legislative outreach
· Plan, schedule and ensure the successful execution of several annual state and federal legislative events to give members the opportunity to engage with elected officials.
· Assist with the coordination of other member legislative outreach as needed.
· Manage the distribution of documents to legislative committees, legislative staff and other public officials.
· Maintain an updated contact list of all government relations contacts for CAPH, especially legislative and administrative staff, and a strong working knowledge of legislative leaders on committees of jurisdiction, legislative leadership, and political dynamics.
· Work closely with the Director of Communications on advocacy-related messaging and communications strategy, including press statements, factsheets and materials for legislative visits, social media efforts, and website updates.
· Help plan and execute a successful annual CAPH/SNI conference by working with colleagues to secure speaker confirmations, prepare conference materials, and ensure smooth logistics.
· Maintain a collaborative, cross-functional, team-oriented approach and demonstrate leadership in the organization.
Knowledge and Experience
· Bachelor’s Degree preferably in Public Health, Health Policy and Management, Public Policy/Administration or Political Science or a related field.
· Three to five years of state or federal legislative experience or government affairs experience.
· Understanding of health care issues, especially Medicaid and the California health care landscape.
Salary is commensurate with experience and includes a competitive benefits package. Interested applicants should send a resume and a cover letter via email to:
Gina Lenhart, Office Manager
Job posted: 2021-05-25