Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Government Affairs Associate (Registered Lobbyist)
Are you interested in joining an increasingly influential organization that is changing the way Washington thinks and talks about Israel and U.S. Middle East policy? J Street’s Public Affairs team—named one of DC’s top lobbying operations by The Hill—is seeking a legislative professional to help advance its advocacy strategy. The Senior Government Affairs Associate will play a key role in the department’s operations and directly lobbying a key portfolio of Congressional offices.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starting, entrepreneurial thinker with keen political instincts and strong attention to detail who thrives on hitting ambitious goals and is excited by the challenge of changing the dynamics that shape the discussion of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in Congress.
- Managing and directly lobbying a portfolio of Congressional offices by deepening existing relationships and growing new ones between Members of Congress and J Street through timely, effective and appropriate use of the entire range of the organization’s advocates and assets;
- Formulating and guiding execution of strategies and tactics to advance legislative and policy priorities;
- Maintaining up-to-date awareness and deep knowledge of relevant legislative initiatives and policy developments on our issue; and
- Contributing to the organization’s strategic advocacy planning as a core member of the Public Affairs Team.
Qualifications and Skills
- Legislative Familiarity: The ideal candidate will have 1-2 years of legislative/lobbying experience.
- Presentation and Writing Skills: This position requires the ability to quickly draft and edit legislative analysis, talking points, and other materials, as well as excellent interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Issue fluency: Middle East/US foreign policy expertise, with a solid understanding of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and how it plays out in American politics.
- Attention to detail: You can manage many projects at once while maintaining a commitment to a detail-oriented approach.
- Collaborative worker: Ability to work across departments within the organization.
- Adherence to deadlines: Competence in working well and quickly under tight deadlines, utilizing current business technology and data management.
- Alignment with the organization’s mission: Familiarity with issues related to the US-Israel relationship and the American Jewish community, and alignment with J Street’s mission and goals.
The salary range for this full-time position is $54,500 – $60,000 depending on experience. Our comprehensive benefits package includes paid vacation and sick leave, personal leave, generous parental and family leave, paid time off on many federal and Jewish holidays, health and dental insurance, company-paid life insurance, a 401k program including an employer match, commuter benefits, and a flexible spending account.
J Street recognizes a staff bargaining unit affiliated with IFPTE Local 70, a union for non-profit workers. This position is included in J Street’s bargaining unit and is covered under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement.
There are no extraordinary physical requirements for the performance of the essential functions of this position. J Street will make reasonable accommodation to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
We are excited to receive applications from a broad range of applicants as we grow our organization to better reflect the diversity of the communities that care about our mission. Please submit the items listed below HERE:
- Cover Letter that explains why you are interested and qualified
- List of Three References
This position is available immediately. Applications are being accepted now and the position will be filled as quickly as possible.
At J Street we value an inclusive, welcoming, and diverse workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to understanding and valuing each other’s perspectives at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our employees, and the communities we work with. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment and fellowship, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
Job posted: 2021-12-19