Senior Government Affairs Manager
We are Covestro. We are curious. We are courageous. We are colorful. We refined Chemical material solutions with game-changing products. Let us empower you to push boundaries. Join us and our 16,000 colleagues now and together we will MAKE the world a brighter place.
WHAT WE OFFER
Covestro is seeking to hire a Senior Government Affairs Manager. The Senior Government Affairs Manager is responsible for implementing Covestro’s legislative, policy and political strategy on key issues impacting our business in the United States. The Senior Manager leads federal and state advocacy efforts on a number of key company issues directly and through key associations, including but not limited to chemicals management, trade, tax, energy, rail, transportation and infrastructure. Duties include overseeing and managing Covestro LLC’s political action committee (CovestroPAC). The position is responsible for building the PAC into an industry-leading political resource that can advance the mission and objectives of Covestro on Capitol Hill and in relevant states. This position reports to Covestro LLC’s Head of Government Affairs in Washington, DC.
Major Tasks & responsibilities:
- Manages, and coordinates strategies, initiatives, and activities related to federal and state legislation and executive branch affairs.
- Coordinate all regular PAC activity and strategy, as well as activities of PAC Executive Board, including quarterly meetings and updates, engagement, etc.
- Execute PAC fundraising strategy and solicitation programs, and manage PAC budget.Organize, fund-raise and coordinate representation of CovestroPAC at candidate events.
- Work as a key part of the Government Affairs Team, including supporting the Head of Government Affairs and Director of State Government Affairs on political strategy and grassroots outreach.
- Support the Head of Government Affairs in educating members of Congress about issues important to Covestro LLC on Capitol Hill, including chemical regulation, energy efficiency, transportation, trade and tax.
- Foster, build and expand relationships with elected officials and congressional staff in relevant offices and committees, leadership positions, etc.
- Monitor and analyze legislation important to Covestro LLC and report on developments to key internal audiences.
- Be active at the American Chemistry Council and with other industry trade associations, including through committee involvement, participation in joint efforts on Capitol Hill and briefings of senior leadership in advance of board meetings, etc.
- Maintain network of congressional staff, campaign fundraisers and industry colleagues.
- Support and/or lead certain assigned state-level advocacy efforts.
- Ensure ongoing Covestro LLC compliance with all federal, state and internal reporting and compliance requirements.
WHAT YOU OFFER
- Bachelor’s degree and 6 (Six) years of experience in a corporate, association, government and/or campaign setting in a fundraising, government affairs or political affairs role
- Thorough understanding gained through government or related experience of US government, political, legislative and regulatory processes, as well as the skills needed to successfully advance Covestro LLC business objectives within those processes
- Experience interacting with and presenting to executives and senior management
- PAC Experience
- BA/BS in Political Science, English, History or Business Administration
- 8 years of experience a corporate, association, government and/or campaign setting in a fundraising, government affairs or political affairs role
- Existing bipartisan relationships and/or the ability to build a network at all levels of government and business
- Management experience developing and implementing processes that drive efficiency, collaboration and superior performance
- Familiarity with political election law and processes at the federal and state level
- Willingness to solicit contributions to the PAC
- Familiarity with the FEC website, proficiency in Microsoft Excel and in other PAC and FEC-related vendor websites and programs
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Capacity and drive to understand fully the business and operational elements of Covestro LLC; including recognizing and understanding what is mission-critical
- Ability to work effectively and productively with elected officials and staff from the executive and legislative branches of government, as well as with internal partners in the company
- Approach to advocacy and government affairs that is proactive, creative and effective and understands constant change in business and political environments
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and the ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners, including on teams in matrixed organization
- Creative and strategic thinker, able to make difficult decisions and work through conflict
- Able to manage and organize a complex array of issues, projects and goals in furtherance of Covestro business objectives
- Able to manage multiple projects concurrently and make decisions quickly
- Able to handle stress and work comfortably in a fast-paced environment where priorities and direction may change frequently
Are you curious, courageous and colorful as we are? If so, we can offer you exciting career opportunities. We look forward to receiving your application including a cover letter, your resume, certificates as well as your salary expectations and your notice period. Become part of our Team – apply now!
Equal Employment Opportunity: Hiring and advancement are based on job-related requirements and on an individual’s qualifications to perform a job. All aspects of employment are carried out free of discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disabilities, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression or any unlawful criterion, existing under applicable federal, state, or local law.
Learn more here
Info-Hotline: +1 844-522-6775
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this site as a result of your disability. To make a request, please call (412) 413-2736.
Job posted: 2019-06-19