Senior Government Affairs Manager
MISSION OF NATIONAL SKILLS COALITION
National Skills Coalition is a broad-based coalition working toward a vision of an America that grows its economy by investing in its people, so that every worker and every industry has the skills to compete and prosper. We engage in organizing, advocacy and communications to advance state and federal policies that support these goals – polices that are based on the on-the-ground expertise of our members and allies.
Initiates, leads, and manages projects that support the development and promotion of a network of advocates working to advance skills policies in collaboration with NSC staff, national partners, and state coalitions. Plan and implement recruitment strategies that engage existing and potential allies in targeted states/districts in federal advocacy, assist in developing and manage strategies that increase opportunities for direct and grassroots lobbying and collaborate with policy, communications, and network staff in facilitating action-taking on NSC’s policy proposals. Develop and implement the advocacy strategy and network outreach components to federal policy campaigns.
We are looking for someone with:
- Knowledge and skills training policy issues
- Prior experience working in or with Congressional offices and/or the Administration
- Prior experience managing and strategizing both lobbying executed both by NSC staff and our network
- Demonstrated interest in membership organizing and ability to mobilize a diverse coalition of stakeholders with an emphasis on racial equity and inclusion
- Desire to be part of a proactive team that highly values collaboration
- 5-7+ years of relevant experience
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Outreach: Develop and implement plans to grow NSC’s national network of diverse stakeholders to weigh in with federal policymakers and advance NSC’s federal policy proposals. Lead targeted outreach efforts in specific districts and/or with particular constituencies to support organizational priorities.
- Network Development with National Partners: Assist in representing NSC in Washington-based coalitions and meetings.
- Network Engagement: Increase opportunities, in collaboration with staff, for local leaders to engage federal policy discussions.
- Campaign Organizing: Assist in the development of and manage federal policy campaign strategies and the related stakeholder outreach/deployment in collaboration with others.
- Policymaker engagement: strategize for key opportunities and priorities in mobilizing our network for engaging with policymakers.
- Grassroots Advocacy: In collaboration with communications staff, drive continuous improvement of (and increase in) field responses to calls to action; in coordination with federal policy staff, facilitate continuous increase in and effectiveness of direct communication between the field and federal policymakers.
Lobbying, Policymaker Education and Influence
- Policy Advocacy: Help develop NSC’s federal advocacy strategy, in collaboration with staff.
- Policymaker Engagement: Assist in advocating for NSC’s policy platform with federal legislators, the White House, and agency administrators. Develop sources for information within legislative and agency offices.
Federal Policy Strategy
- Federal Policy Strategy: Assist in developing federal advocacy strategy to advance policy recommendations, based on network engagement, NSC’s overall policy agenda, and with awareness of Hill/Admin trends and opportunities.
- Policy Implementation: Assist in efforts to advise federal administrators in regulation, guidance and technical assistance associated with congressional or administrative action.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Project Management: Brings together every component of a project, including resources or planning, that are needed to complete it in a timely manner.
- Partnership Development: Ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support.
- Strategic Thinking/Management: Creates and communicates a long-term vision, balances short- and long-term goals, keeps own and team’s work aligned with overall goals, creates, and adjusts strategic plans.
- Organizational Awareness: Using knowledge of the organization and the organization’s business environment to turn data into insight.
ORGANIZATIONAL CORE COMPETENCIES
- Interpersonal skills: Exhibits respect and understanding of others to maintain professional relationship.
- Problem Solving: Solves problems while ensuring rules and directives are followed.
- Communication Skills: Ability to effectively engage and communicate with target audiences.
- Initiative: Takes independent action, seeks out new responsibilities, acts on opportunities, generates new ideas, practices self-development.
- Attention to Detail: Committed to accuracy and excellence, looks for improvements continuously, monitors quality levels, finds/owns/acts on quality problems.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-27