Senior Government Relations Representative
Working as part of the Government Relations Department, the Senior Government Relations Representative is a lead lobbyist supporting The Conservation Fund’s (“Fund”) Departments, programs and project leaders, primarily by helping represent the organization with the Administration, Congress, and NGOs. The position will focus on providing Government Relations assistance for securing federal funding through Congressional appropriations and authorizations, agency grant programs and other public funding sources, in order to complete priority conservation projects.
- Maintain relationships with the legislative and executive branches, as a lead lobbyist.
- Serve as the lead liaison for U.S. Congressional delegations, within a designated region.
- Advocate for programmatic funding, overseeing the Fund’s participation in a range of federal grant programs, and building partnerships with federal departments and agencies, such as the Natural Resources Conservation Service and others.
- Track and engage in authorizing legislation, including the Farm Bill and other high priority federal authorizing legislation.
- Advance appropriations and authorizing legislation to provide federal land conservation funding, such as the Land and Water Conservation Fund (“LWCF”), to help the Bureau of Land Management, National Park Service, U.S. Forest Service, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and state and local agencies achieve their land acquisition goals.
- Provide information to the Fund’s field offices about the federal budget, appropriations process, federal grant programs, authorizing legislation and rulemakings along with agency policies and decisions.
- Represent the Fund in partnerships with conservation organizations, businesses, and landowners relating to federal policy, federal appropriations, and agency budgets.
- Work as part of the Government Relations Department to support the Fund’s Conservation Acquisitions Department to help select, implement and complete land acquisition projects.
- Work as part of the Government Relations Department to support for the Fund’s Sustainable Programs, Conservation Ventures, Mitigation programs, and other initiatives.
- Ensure compliance with Congressional and executive branch lobbying rules.
DESIRED BACKGROUND AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
The ideal candidate will have six to twelve years of related experience, with a minimum of three years of work experience in Congress or the Executive Branch. Related non-profit or private sector employment will also be considered. Must have an understanding of the federal appropriations and authorization processes, and federal land management agencies. An advanced degree is desirable. Strong written and verbal communication skills needed. Some traveling will be required, including over-night stays.
Must demonstrate ability to achieve annual business results; show strong initiative, entrepreneurship, and strategic thinking; possess a high degree of integrity, honesty, maturity and judgment; foster communication that is direct, productive and two-way; support the development of self and others to maximum potential by valuing diversity, equity and continuous learning; and foster team building and a vision and commitment to land conservation including fish and wildlife habitat protection, outdoor recreation and historic preservation.
Candidates should possess a valid driver’s license and be able to accommodate travel via various modes of transportation. Candidate must be able to communicate verbally, in writing, and via electronic communication.
We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits including medical/dental insurance, paid vacation/sick/holidays, parental leave and a 403(b) plan as well as a location close to Metro.
The Conservation Fund, a Non Profit Corporation, is an Equal Opportunity Employer who fully and actively supports equal access for all people regardless of Race, Color, Religion, Gender, Age, National Origin, Veteran Status, Disability, Genetic Information or Testing, Family and Medical Leave, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity or Expression and prohibits retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or practice in the investigation of any complaint, or otherwise oppose discrimination.
For additional information visit our website at www.conservationfund.org.
Job posted: 2020-06-01